Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Flu Flu for tree squirrels >

Flu Flu for tree squirrels

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Flu Flu for tree squirrels

Old 08-07-2013, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Flu Flu for tree squirrels

Hey all, I've got 2 shafts with Flu Flu fletching and g5 small game heads for squirrels this year.

I'm shooting 45# @ 28" with D97 string.

The fletching is four 4" untrimmed feather vanes and after some more research, it seems like these won't be good enough at slowing the arrow for what I want to do.

What type of Flu Flu generates the most drag? I'm going to be shooting up at treed squirrels and think that slowing after 20-30 yards is too far out. Is there a fletching that works better, say slowing the arrow at 10-15 yards?

I think I read that the spiral-type is best, but wanted to know if anyone had first-hand experience.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Spike

I use the spiral type for everything, pheasant, squirrel, geese, rabbits, dove basically any small game. In my opinion it create the best amount of drag, and I use them out of a compound also.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dsotm223
I use the spiral type for everything, pheasant, squirrel, geese, rabbits, dove basically any small game. In my opinion it create the best amount of drag, and I use them out of a compound also.
That's what I've heard.

I would like to build an arrow that has the shortest possible max distance but still has good flight and energy within 15 - 20 yards, but drops off dramatically after that point.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:10 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Spiral or a 6-fletch with lots of helical.

Around here at least, a flu-flu is useless on squirrels and even rabbits (which are, IMO, slower than squirrels). They will dodge them--too much noise and too slow. If you are going to shoot at squirrels in trees, the simple thing to do is be prepared to loose arrows. Jason Westbrock is experienced with this--get in touch with him and he can help. He buys dowels in bulk and uses them for cheap squirrel arrows, with cheap feathers and cheap points.

Chad
Old 08-09-2013, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by LBR
Spiral or a 6-fletch with lots of helical.

Around here at least, a flu-flu is useless on squirrels and even rabbits (which are, IMO, slower than squirrels). They will dodge them--too much noise and too slow. If you are going to shoot at squirrels in trees, the simple thing to do is be prepared to loose arrows. Jason Westbrock is experienced with this--get in touch with him and he can help. He buys dowels in bulk and uses them for cheap squirrel arrows, with cheap feathers and cheap points.

Chad
Thanks Chad.

The squirrels around here don't spook too easily and they are usually keyed in on my dog, he does a good job of keeping them out on a branch chattering away.

I picked up a half dozen "lost" arrows (arrows from the outdoor 3D range that aren't claimed) in 1916 for under 10 bucks and I'm having them refletched with 6 flu flu feathers with a decent amount of twist.

They aren't all the same brand of shafts, but I don't think the differences are going to show that much with those big feathers on there. We'll see what happens when I pick them up tomorrow. If anything it'll just be nice to have a few cheap-o arrows to mess around with.

Last edited by Psylocide; 08-09-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Spike

i use flu flus on squirrel and rabits here in newyork i make my blunts out of old 308 brass plus i use judo points it can cost money shooting up in trees but i fletch my own and i enjoy hunting all kinds of game with my bow
Old 08-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only part I don't like about spiral fletched flu-flu's is that if you shave off some fletching, I can't repair them myself. With 6 fletch, I can replace them myself. Spiral is superior otherwise.

Only thing I don't like about squirrels with flu-flu's it sucks when you stick a $15 flu-flu into a tree, can see it RIGHT THERE, but can't recover it.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
The only part I don't like about spiral fletched flu-flu's is that if you shave off some fletching, I can't repair them myself. With 6 fletch, I can replace them myself. Spiral is superior otherwise.

Only thing I don't like about squirrels with flu-flu's it sucks when you stick a $15 flu-flu into a tree, can see it RIGHT THERE, but can't recover it.
Well, I'm hoping the G5 small game heads and judo points wouldn't end up getting stuck too easily.

However, all in, I'll have 6 flu flu arrows for under 20 bucks... I'm not going to be too worried if I lose a couple.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, grabbed a few Walmart carbon arrow shafts... 31" @ 9.6 grains per inch, but no spine weight is specified(Just a range from 40 - 70 lb draw weight.), for 3.50 a piece.

Put 125 grain field points on for now, and fletched with 2 full length feathers in a spiral fashion. Let me tell you... at 20 yards, these things start to drop like a rock. However, within that range, they fly like absolute darts. I can group these better inside 20 than I can with my regular arrows.

The spiral fletch job was a real pain, and didn't realize until the second arrow that I should have sanded down the spine of the feather for easier application. I've got more drying time into them than anything, but they are a blast to shoot and loud flying through the air, lol.

Worked out to be about 5 bucks an arrow all said and done.

I used permanent marker to "paint" my existing nock red to match... good enough, ha.

Flu Flu for tree squirrels-0826031154b.jpg

Flu Flu for tree squirrels-0826031155.jpg

They are a little ugly, but everything seems to be holding well... not sure how much it weighs though, 435 with arrow/nock/tip, but unsure on glue/feathers/insert. I'll get it weighed next time I'm at the range.
Attached Thumbnails Flu Flu for tree squirrels-0826031154a.jpg  
Old 09-08-2013, 04:36 PM
Dominant Buck

I always make fluflus when shooting birds. For tree rats i use 4" fletching I tip them with 38 casing blunts. I found the blunts dont grab trees like small game points do. Seem to be easier on my arrows too.

Last edited by burniegoeasily; 09-08-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.