Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Wrong String?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wrong String?

I posted this in another thread, but didn't get a reply so I'm going to try a new one.

Basically, I just got my DF97 string but it's a 59" string for my 62" recurve (dacron string was 58"). When I ordered it, I asked for a 58" string. When I went to pick it up, it was a 59" string and told me he ordered a 59" on purpose, the following was his reasoning:

The outfitter was saying that dacron stretches more and that when you're using a fast flight material for the string, the length should be 3" shorter than the bow length instead of 4".

Does that sound right or did the guy order the wrong one?

It's on my bow now, but I haven't strung it up to see how it looks/feels. Will 1" longer make a huge difference?

Should I have demanded that he order the correct one?

Last edited by Psylocide; 04-19-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:48 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Whoever ordered it should have discussed it with you first. Whether it's right or not...hard call.

AMO says the string should be 3" shorter than the AMO bow length (longbow or recurve)....BUT a lot of bows don't meet AMO specs. Actually it says the bow should be marked 3" longer than the "string master" that puts it at proper brace (the string master is a steel cable).

Any of the "Fast Flight" type materials will stretch a lot less than dacron, but if it's done properly either one is measured under 100# of tension--which should allow for the extra stretch of the dacron. I think even fewer string makers measure them properly.

String it up, check the brace, and go from there. You can generally shoot a little lower brace with a FF type material, but not normally a full inch lower.

Chad
Old 04-19-2013, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by LBR
Whoever ordered it should have discussed it with you first. Whether it's right or not...hard call.

AMO says the string should be 3" shorter than the AMO bow length (longbow or recurve)....BUT a lot of bows don't meet AMO specs. Actually it says the bow should be marked 3" longer than the "string master" that puts it at proper brace (the string master is a steel cable).

Any of the "Fast Flight" type materials will stretch a lot less than dacron, but if it's done properly either one is measured under 100# of tension--which should allow for the extra stretch of the dacron. I think even fewer string makers measure them properly.

String it up, check the brace, and go from there. You can generally shoot a little lower brace with a FF type material, but not normally a full inch lower.

Chad
Thanks Chad... I'll try it out and see how it goes. Agreed, he should have said something, I was pissed when I saw it was 59".
Old 04-24-2013, 09:24 AM
Spike

Default string

it's ok to twist it to 58"as long as you twist it to tighten center serving.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I checked the brace height as it sits currently, and it's a little over 7.5", which is withing the manufacturers recommended range and seems to be shooting well.

Not sure how much I could shorten it by twisting... it's an endless loop string.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:42 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

You can twist endless--they actualy need some twist in them.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by LBR
You can twist endless--they actualy need some twist in them.
I know it's twisted up a bit, just not sure if you could overdo it?