Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

2014 project

Old 03-27-2013, 07:44 PM
Spike

Default 2014 project

This year's project is to get a new light weight gun for mountain hunting (tossing up between a 300 wsm or 7mm rem mag) in either Tikka t3, Sako A7, Sako Finnlight or Kimber Montana for sambar.

But next year my project is already picked, a new bow!
I'm still debating on whether to get a compound or recurve but I'm heavily swaying towards a recurve and as I know nothing about them just looking for some early scouting info.

I own a bear compound at the moment and skimming through their website the Fred Bear takedown seems to be a pretty mean recurve. Are they as good as it gets or are there better bows? what is good? what is value for money? what should I stay away from?

Cheers,
SB
Old 03-28-2013, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SakoBavarian
This year's project is to get a new light weight gun for mountain hunting (tossing up between a 300 wsm or 7mm rem mag) in either Tikka t3, Sako A7, Sako Finnlight or Kimber Montana for sambar.

But next year my project is already picked, a new bow!
I'm still debating on whether to get a compound or recurve but I'm heavily swaying towards a recurve and as I know nothing about them just looking for some early scouting info.

I own a bear compound at the moment and skimming through their website the Fred Bear takedown seems to be a pretty mean recurve. Are they as good as it gets or are there better bows? what is good? what is value for money? what should I stay away from?

Cheers,
SB
Well, my suggestion for a rifle will say something about what I like to spend on things... I would go with the Tikka T3 (have one in .270 win).

If you already have a compound, I would definitely go with the recurve. Some guys like to buy a new bow every season, I'm in the other camp. I had the same compound bow for 5-6 years before I lost interest and sold it.

Then just a few weeks ago, I picked up the Samick Sage 45# recurve and I am LOVING it. It shoots like a dream (when I shoot it right) and I find it so much more thrilling than I ever felt shooting my compound. Once the compund was tuned/sighted, you just put the pins on the target and hit the bull every time, fun stuff, but not much to it.

With the recurve, you're really just aiming at a spot and letting arrows fly based on experience and a hunch... when you shoot a good group, it's like the heavens open up and shine goodness down on your target.

So, there's my .02.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:00 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

There are lots of great bows on the market. Starting out, I'd go cheap. You don't yet know what your preferances are, or what weight(s) you will want to shoot.

The Samick Sage or Journey are both great bows at a very reasonable price.

I'd also invest in the video "Masters of the Barebow, Volume III". Two World Champion archers giving easy to follow instructions--it can take years off the learning curve. You can get it at www.safarituff.com or 3 Rivers Archery.

Good luck!

Chad