Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Arrow Help

Old 01-31-2013, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Arrow Help

I have a 62" OMP 50lbs recurve. My draw is 28" and I picked up a dozen Cabelas Stalker Extreme 55/70s uncut at the bargain cave and these shot well with 100 gr fieldtips. I tried some broadheads and they are not flying well. My arrow weight is 414grs. and I am curious if what I need to do to these arrows for decent broadhead flight? More weight up front? Less length? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 01-31-2013, 06:53 PM
Spike

For one thing I'm betting that you're shooting the arrows off the shelf, but the Cabela's arrows are fletched with plastic vanes. That right there will create problems. Shooting off the shelf? Go with feather fletching. Beyond that check out this link and learn the ins and outs of tuning.
http://www.bowmaker.net/index2.htm
Old 01-31-2013, 07:59 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

That site has excellent tuning advice.

Unless they are REALLY long, I'm 99% sure your arrows are too stiff (over-spined). You may be able to fix this by adding weight--heavier point, brass inserts, etc. Cutting them shorter will just make them stiffer. The weight you may have to add will probably be extreme--like another 100 grains or so.

My bet is, with 125 grain points, you'll need a 35/55 spine or something in that area.

Chad
Old 02-01-2013, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

Rednef, I am shooting of the shelf but the stalkers are fletched with feathers. Thanks for the link, I will definatly check that out.

Chad, the arrows are 31.5" but I am going to try some 35/55s and see what that does. I can always cut the stalkers down and use them in my compound setup. Although the compound has not been shot much since the recurve started hitting its mark
Also, Have you had a chance to catch up on strings. Just curious to see if adding the new string will affect this at all.
Thanks again guys...
Old 02-01-2013, 08:29 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Slowly making progress, but still piled up. The string can make a difference. Usually not a big one, but it can happen.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Chad...I found a couple 45/60s that are uncut at weigh in at 426gr. Gonna give them a try as soon as the weather permits.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

The 45/60s flew better and the groupings were tighter. I went ahead and ordered a half dozen GT 35/55 and plan on arming them with 125 gr thunderheads. I will report how it goes. Thanks again for the help guys.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:40 PM
Spike

Yessir, too stiff.