Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
80s model Martin TD, "superstrings" & carbon arrows? >

80s model Martin TD, "superstrings" & carbon arrows?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

80s model Martin TD, "superstrings" & carbon arrows?

Old 12-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default 80s model Martin TD, "superstrings" & carbon arrows?

Welp I've had the ol deathstick sittin in the rack since the last season I used her (1992, took a P&Y in southern MO with it, hung it up afterwards. Not as much practice time as I wanted to have back then.) Lastnight I drug her down out of the horseshoe rack, strung her and giver a yank or two. My wife bought it for me from a mutual taxidermist friend back in our college days in the early 90s, it's a Martin TD recurve, 62" 60#. Last time I used it I flung some big ol aluminum XX75s with Zwickeys on it. Now I'm wanting to spend some time with it between now and next fall in preparation for a hunt or two in my swamp.

Being it's closer to 30yrs old than 20yrs old, I fear putting any of the modern "super strings" on it. Should I?

Assuming I stick with a dacron string, is there a carbon arrow that I can safely use?
Old 12-13-2012, 02:01 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I can't remember if that one was "Fast Flight Compatible". Might contact Martin and find out for sure. If it is, I see no reason not to use a "FF" type string on it--just make sure it's built properly. If not, I'd stick with dacron.

With carbon arrows, just be sure the over-all arrow weight is high enough. I like to stay with at least 9 grains of arrow weight per lb of draw weight (9 gpp). It's quieter and less shock that way also.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by LBR
I can't remember if that one was "Fast Flight Compatible". Might contact Martin and find out for sure. If it is, I see no reason not to use a "FF" type string on it--just make sure it's built properly. If not, I'd stick with dacron.

With carbon arrows, just be sure the over-all arrow weight is high enough. I like to stay with at least 9 grains of arrow weight per lb of draw weight (9 gpp). It's quieter and less shock that way also.
He's right on all accounts. I dodn't think Martin's back then had limb tips to support FF strings - so I'd call Martin with your serial # just to be sure and ask them. Use a FF string on a bow that doens't have strong enuff limb tips and you risk blowing the tips right off! I've seen it happen!

I shoot a 1971 Bear Kodiak Hunter that is in mint condtion - B50 string with 5/16" Easton carbon arrows, 9.1 grains per inch....and they shoot great for me (of course shooting 5 in feathers on them). The carbon's are nice and straight, easy to maintain - much easier then when I shot both alum and my own homemade wood arrows. I found my alum 2016's and 2018's off the recurve getting bend too easily! Doesn't happen now with my carbons!

Break that trad bow out and start shooting! Shooting trad bows is on the rise again! It's plain just 'more fun' to shoot them!

: )
Old 12-13-2012, 04:43 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

As best I can find it was '95 before all the Martin bows were FF compatible (except maybe the X-100?). Based on that, I'd stick with dacron--B-55, B-500, or B-50. 14-16 strands will be plenty.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:31 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

That should have read "X-200". Do they still make that one?