Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

what is lifeline?

Old 11-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default what is lifeline?

i got a book on traditional archery, i think its guide to stickbow, something like that, and in it he started referring to the "lifeline" of the bow. Im inferring he means somehthing like the center line of the bow but i cant find a definition in the book or online, can anybody help?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Not sure if they are referring to the midline or not. I have, many moons ago, heard people referring to the long crease in your hand as the lifeline. It use to be referenced when teaching proper grip. I have not heard it referenced in archery since the late 70s.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Typical Buck

theres a thought, i know from my one trip to a palmreader we have a lifeline on the palm of our hand, its the one that runs down the middle. In this book he just starts using "lifeline" out of the blue with no explanation, i was lost. I hadnt thought of that, thanks
Old 11-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Typical Buck

yep you nailed it burnie, i read some more tonight and he finally explains to hold the bow deep in the web of your hand where the lifeline is.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Glad i could help.

Call it a lucky guess.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:41 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Oh no...don't tell me you got "shooting the stickbow".........

There is some good information in it (plagerized), and some stuff that is totally off the wall. If that's the book you got, notice the complete lack of credentials. This is a guy that will argue with the likes of Rick McKinney, Rod Jenkins, even the Hoyt Owner's Manual. And the book gets good reviews??????????? The world is upside-down.......
Old 11-29-2012, 05:56 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by LBR
Oh no...don't tell me you got "shooting the stickbow".........

There is some good information in it (plagerized), and some stuff that is totally off the wall. If that's the book you got, notice the complete lack of credentials. This is a guy that will argue with the likes of Rick McKinney, Rod Jenkins, even the Hoyt Owner's Manual. And the book gets good reviews??????????? The world is upside-down.......
yep shooting the stickbow 2nd edition. Its not a good book? I think it was archery talk or some sight, i had like 5 people tell me its a must read so i picked it up. I thought so far it seemed like good info but then again, im a newbie to stickbows so what do i know lol. What books do you like
Old 11-29-2012, 08:51 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

The good info. is basic info. you pick up just doing your homework. The bad is off-the-wall stuff like "you pick up 10# of performance for every inch you draw past 28 inches." I thought that must be a typo, not clear, something, so I asked. Nope, he claims that a 40@32 bow will have the same performance as a 80@28 bow of the same make/model. That's just plain nuts. I asked what happens if you have a 40@28 but only pull it to 24"--does the arrow just fall to the floor? No reply. He just dissapears when you point out something stupid or a contradiction, and his groupies will monkey-pile you.

He has a chapter on hunting. Probably mentions he was a "New York State Bowhunting Instructor". Probably doesn't mention that he's not a bowhunter, and never killed anything using a bow. Won't stop him from telling you everything you are doing wrong with your hunting, even if you are an experienced hunter.

Never won anything, never coached a winner, never killed anything, but has no problem telling everyone that has what they are doing wrong.

He gets good reviews on AT and the LW--I think those are the only two sites left that he hasn't been banned from. Anyhow.....

Like I said, there is some good info. in it, but some really goofy stuff too. Unless it's been changed, he didn't even copy the definition of "Fast Flight" correctly. Does he still say it's a "vectran based material"? Some FF materials incorporate Vectran, but there's only been one 100% Vectran string material on the market and it dang-near bankrupted the company. The core material for "Fast Flight" strings is HMPE (high modulous polyethelene).

A good book...hard call there. The premise behind STS is a good one--compile all the information needed to get a newbie started. Unfortunately it wasn't compiled by a competent archer, and I don't know of a beginner book that is. There are some good books, like "The Simple Art of Winning" by Rick McKinney. A great video is "Masters of the Barebow, Volume III".

Until someone competent does complile accurate information for those starting out, we'll just have to keep doing it the old fashioned way--research and practice.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by scottycoyote
yep shooting the stickbow 2nd edition. Its not a good book? I think it was archery talk or some sight, i had like 5 people tell me its a must read so i picked it up. I thought so far it seemed like good info but then again, im a newbie to stickbows so what do i know lol. What books do you like
Archery talk is eat up with " pros" who just started shooting a compound a week ago. I quit going there because it is eat up with know it alls and down right ignorance.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:45 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Most of the ones who know their stuff got drummed off by the keyboard "experts". Telling Rick McKinney he doesn't know what he's talking about?? Give me a break!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.