Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
New to traditional bowhunting ... >

New to traditional bowhunting ...

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

New to traditional bowhunting ...

Old 10-08-2012, 05:09 AM
Spike

Default New to traditional bowhunting ...

I am new to traditional bowhunting and have not hunted yet but I want to. Aside from lots of practice, any suggestions on what to do to be as prepared as possible for the first time?

Posted from Huntingnet.com App for Android
Old 10-10-2012, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Once you are proficient with the bow, you need to learn to hunt. I'm still learning after more than 30 years.

Since you are interested in Traditional Archery, you probably aren't too caught up in the latest gadgets, which is good. Too many guys attribute their success/failure to whatever call or scent or camo, or whatever else they just bought.

Study the animal you plan to hunt. Read, watch videos, etc. But to really learn anything, you need to get out there. Going with another more experienced person can be a big help, but you can be just fine alone. Don't get overly concerend with killing game, it will happen eventually. Sooner or later you'll put it together and a shot will present itself. That is another mistake many make; feeling like they are not successful if they don't take an animal. If you want success, go to the meat market. If you want to hunt, go to the woods.

Last thing I'll recommend is to learn how to properly dress and care for the animal once you've taken it. Good luck to you.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:16 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Not just practice, quality practice. Learn to be accurate, to have super sharp broadheads, perfect arrow flight, a quiet shot. Learn to read the animal's body language--much less apt to "jump the string" if they are relaxed when you shoot vs. alert. Spend as much time as you can in the woods. Talk to people who know how to hunt vs. those who just know how to talk/type about it (lots of that on some sites). Get advice from people in your area--just because it's a whitetail doesn't mean it acts the same everywhere.

Good luck!

Chad
Old 10-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Fork Horn

I have been a traditional bowhunter for over 20 years and have had a great journey and success, as well as introduced plenty of people into it. First, you want a low poundage bow 40 or 45 pounds. Enought that is legal to hunt with but still enough to learn great form. Learning to shoot a traditional bow is rather easy as long as have a good coach and/or mentor. You will first need to decided if you want to shoot a recurve or longbow. They are worlds apart from one another and each has a place. I have attended bob Wesley shooting school and learned the Howard Hill method of shooting with longbow and once you learn it cann't go back to recurve. You will need to know your height, and draw length and go from there. Any questions feel free to ask, I am more than ready to help you.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Spike

the only thing i would add is to always practice from where you plan to hunt[ tree stand, ground blind, ect] do it before you go hunting and this will be one of a few hundred mistakes you won't have to learn the hard way