Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Moustache and Beard?

Old 07-12-2012, 07:46 AM
Spike

Default Moustache and Beard?

Weird question-

Returning to archery after many years- so many in fact that I'm now sporting "mountain man" style facial hair. My nock point is middle finger in the corner of my mouth.

I don't see a lot of archers sporting the full beard- I'm wondering, should I worry about catching facial hair in the release?

My main concern is being distracted when shooting worried about the collateral damage. The simple fix would be a bandana, but I just wanted to get an idea of what to expect.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

may be a distraction at first,
but once you find your comfort zone again, will just be another part of you,
Old 07-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't worry about it. If hair does get caught it will come out so fast when you release you won't even know it until after the animal is hit.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Spike

Shoot that way and see what happens. If its a problem you can always trim. But there is no need to totally ditch the beard.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

It dosen't grab my beard and I draw to where my index finger touches the corner of my mouth. I used to notice the string push my beard back as I drew and launch my beard forward as I released but now I don't notice at all. Only time I ever had trouble was when using a release. But I no longer own any bows with wheels so that issue is over.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Dominant Buck

I anchor with my index finger in the corner of my mouth. I have no issue with it with my beard.

Last edited by burniegoeasily; 09-14-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

been shooting longbows and recurves for 30 + years with a long beard, just shoot brother , a little camo paint on your cheeks and fore head and your good to go
Old 09-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

I read a story one time where a guy fell asleep in a treestand, all cammied up, and a bobcat snuck up on his beard while he was snoring. Thought it was a squirrel, I guess. He woke up quick!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

My prob is the string skimming across my nose sometimes... I dont practice as much as I was so it hasent been a prob lately