Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Effective range

Old 05-29-2012, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Effective range

I know this has prob been asked before... This is about my 3rd season of bowhunting with a recurve and I feel like I've gotten a lot better with my bow... I killed my first deer last season at about 20-25 yards...

I am pretty consistent from 20 yards and under...

I was curious at what everybody else feels is there confort zone???
Old 05-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never mind... I did a little searching and got my answer...

Seems like a good 80-90% of hunters like a deer 20 yards and under... Thats pretty much were I stand also...
Old 06-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

Yes for some reason with the recurve you can consistently hit your target 20,25 yds then it drops drastically and becomes a little bit inconsistent as you go farther.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Spike

In a tree it is 25 yards,on the ground my range is 35 to 40 yards with a long bow.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seems to me if you are confident at 40 on the ground that you could shoot just as far out of a treestand...
Old 06-11-2012, 12:10 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

For me there's a lot more to it than being in a tree or on the ground. To even think about a longer shot on an animal everything would have to be right for me--even a relaxed animal could take a few steps in the time it takes an arrow to cover 40 yds.

The way I look at it is bowhunting is about how close you can get. Target archery is for seeing how far back you can get and still hit the target.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been doing a lot of practice lately and im really starting to relize that my best bet is to get them as close as possible... 20 yards im pretty good but in the woods it's going to be a lot different!!! Im going to keep it around 15 yards...