Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Heavy, Small Diameter Arrows >

Heavy, Small Diameter Arrows

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Heavy, Small Diameter Arrows

Old 08-30-2003, 12:17 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default Heavy, Small Diameter Arrows

Any of you have any experience with getting arrows together for really big game? I have tenative plans for a hunt in the next few years and I want to start getting things together for it. I' ll be moving back up in bow weight--I figure 85# or so at my draw, and want to get some arrows that weigh around 900 grains or better. Troy Breeding has some 11/32 hickory shafts that might do the trick, but I' m open for suggestions--I' d like to go smaller. I' d even consider carbon if the weight and spine is right. Broadhead will probably be 160 grains, arrow length 31" BOP, spined for 85@30.

Chad
Old 08-30-2003, 01:12 PM

Default RE: Heavy, Small Diameter Arrows

Chad,
I believe it' s pretty common practice for hunting in Africa, to stuff an aluminum arrow with a smaller diameter aluminum or carbon arrow. It gets the weight & spine up both. I don' t know what combinations would give you the correct spine, but it seems to me there could be a lot of combinations, including cedars inside aluminum (i.e. 5/16 cedar inside 2216 alum). Anyway, it would take some experimentation, but probably wouldn' t take too long to come up with something workable. As an altrenative, you might look at Gold Tip Big Game shafts, with heavy heads, or extra weight, would be a lot simpler, and more repeatable.

Darrel
Old 08-31-2003, 10:05 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Yep--I have read about shafts inside of shafts, Gold Tip Big Game, Grizzley Sticks, fishing arrow shafts, etc. Just trying to narrow it down before I start buying--one fellow told me he had over $300 worth of " junk shafts" from experimenting, and I don' t want to go that route. Hopefully I will be able to get a head start from talking to others that have done this stuff! The devil of it is, when you start loading the shafts for more weight, you start messing with the spine. We' ll just have to wait and see I guess.

Chad
Old 09-01-2003, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

Chad,

The Grizzlystick Safari arrows would be my choice if I wanted a heavy small diameter arrow for hunting large game.
Their 15gr. per inch weight is the heaviest I know of.
I hear, they' re extremely durable.
http://www.alaskabowhunting.com

Sag.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:31 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Looking into those Sag, waiting on a reply from Alaska Archery. For $160 a dozen they should come with a robot to at least pull your arrows for you! Found several options, just not sure which to try first.

Chad
Old 09-02-2003, 07:58 AM

Chad,

Easton Carbonaeros Carbon Excel 400' s wieght 8.1 grains per inch on thier own which would be about 435 grains at 30" with 160 grain bh and nock and insert. You can fill shaft with sand and get about 175 grain of wieght. These arrows are very kind to your wallet. Even us poor old southern boy' s can sell enough possum' s hides to buy these arra' s !

Chad, with this smaller dia. I really don' t think you need all that grain wieght. Promise not to tell the trade police on me. OK ? (wink - wink ) I shot a deer last year at 28 yards with a bow that was pulling 42 lbs. at my draw and an arrow that wieghed 6.3 grains per pound. This arrow broke a rib going in and coming out and barried in a tree so deep after that that I thought I would never get it out ! I just really feel that that 10 grains a pound is not needed with these smaller dia. arrows of today. Just think about it, which is easier to push into something ? An ice pick or a screwdriver ?

Just my thoughts,

Bill
Old 09-02-2003, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where in the Sam Hill did you get a 265 grain arrow???

Old 09-02-2003, 10:15 AM

Arthur,

Let me tell ya that I am drawlength challenged. LOL A PSE Carbon Force Extreme 200 cut to 24 1/2 " with a 85 grain Steel Force broadhead. My friends often tell me I should just shoot crossbow bolts ! I' ll just stick to my short longbow .

Bill
Old 09-02-2003, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

LOL! So that' s what' s happening to all of the sody straws at McDonalds! You' re fletching them up!

I' m draw length challenged the other way. Not many outfits make arrow shafts long enough for me to make arrows out of ' em. Full length raw shaft (32.5" minimum, shorter don' t work), stick a nock on one end, insert in the other, a little fletching and that' s my arrow. Even my ' lite' carbons weigh over 450 grains.

With fish tank air tubing running from insert to nock, I bump that up to 587 grains. But I' ve found out that the tubing shrinks, either from summer heat or just from being pounded around, and it eventually starts sliding back and forth an inch or so. I took a 4" length of .090 weedeater line and stuck both ends into the tubing, leaving a loop sticking up and used it as a lock on the tubing. That seems to be working for now.

I tried shooting them unweighted, but my longbow rattles my bones and my recurve sounds like it' s being dry fired. I' m talking even at 8.5 grains per pound! I' ve got one heckuva long power stroke though.

Now if I could just figure out how to get the things to shoot broadheads where I look instead of making basketball size groups at 20 yards.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:15 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the input Bill! I really don' t think I would need re-bar arrows myself, but I have no experience whatsoever with animals like this. I think the weight is to insure penetration through hair/hide/mud/ribs/etc. I' m just going on what I have been told by a guy who has shot them, and seen them shot, with arrows. I plan on doing some penetration testing when I get the bow and see what happens with light vs. heavy. There' s bound to be a point where you loose penetration due to loss of speed, I just gotta' figure out where that is.

Chad

Quick Reply: Heavy, Small Diameter Arrows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.