Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

broken bow salvage

Old 03-14-2012, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default broken bow salvage

I was bored today and decided to make an atlatl out of a broken longbow I have been saving for this project. It didn't take long to get this atlatl put together. I spliced together two carbon arrows for a dart.

All in all it worked very well. It thaws good and the darts fly well.
Atlatls are fun, its been a while 12-15 years since I have last played with them but looking forward to playing with them some more. Who knows if I get good enough maybe I'll try to take a bear over bait with one.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:23 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Cool! I was given a half-finished atlatl a couple years ago, and wound up with a bunch of aluminum shafts I could splice for darts...if I ever get time to do it! They are fun once you get the hang of it. Don't think I could hunt with one here in MS, but AL has a spear season...just don't see one of our deer standing still for that much movement, but who knows?

Chad
Old 03-15-2012, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

I know a guy who has killed both a black bear and a whiltetail with one. For the whitetail he filled a pumpkin with corn and molasses and got it when it stuck its head into the pumpkin. He got the black bear over bait.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never heard of regs regarding their use for anything so I would check the game laws.AFAIK they are not legal for big game.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bernie P.
I've never heard of regs regarding their use for anything so I would check the game laws.AFAIK they are not legal for big game.
At the Trad Expo, I can't remember who it was, who told the story or where it happened, but there was a big deal about someone taking "the first blah-blah-blah with an atlatl"..
Old 03-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

I have serious doubts that anyone now a days is the "first" to take anything with an atlatl!!
Old 03-15-2012, 05:04 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

AL has a spear season. As best I can tell, the atlatl would be legal.

"Deer and feral swine may be taken by hand thrown spear during the open Bow and Arrow season on these species. The hand thrown spear shall have a sharpened blade a minimum of two inches in width. The spear shall only be hand thrown."

I remember the old "Swivellimb" tree seat video that showed the dude Pat Swayze killed in "Roadhouse" killing a bear with a spear...don't remember what state it was though.