Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Carbon arrows?

Old 08-26-2003, 03:45 PM

Default RE: Carbon arrows?

Whatever they' re advantages, I could never justify the premium cost. Also, I had one break one time and there was no visual indication. Fortunately, I routinely check out of habit by feel and found the soft spot before trying to shoot it again.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:49 AM

Guy' s, I think that the weight issue is strickly in the minds of traditional archers. Easton carbons were developed on the NAA/FITA fields to improve long range performance. I still have a ten pack of the first carbons available from Easton for public sale (they came in 10 pack tubes with points and a lead ball weighting system for nibb balance)

Listening to trad archers talking about weighting carbons to 500-700gr plus projectiles in reality was not the carbon arrows design intent. Their light weight and extremely quick recovery rate were their strongest selling points to the FITA archers. FITA archers have shot 5gr per pound carbons for years with little problems with limb breakage. These archers shoot thousands and thousands of arrows per year so tackle failure would be far easily recognized in that format rather that the average trad archer who may shoot a couple dozen shots a day throughout a year.

Trad archers are locked into traditions and have the 540gr AMO ( a standard developed to compare products to like products) mindset or a minimum 10gr per pound thought process. I am not suggesting all trad archer fire 5gr per pound arrows (hopefully no one out there feels the need for 90 meter accuracy for hunting )but going up to 15gr per pound is also unnecessary and self defeating to the design intent of carbon technology.

I shoot all three (wood,aluminum,and carbon) each have their advantages and disadvantages. The archer has to define his needs and wants and shoot which ever fills his criteria the best.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:54 PM

Carbon arrows aren' t necessarily premium priced shafts, anymore. I' ve been buying Bemans off Ebay for less than 50.00 a dozen including shipping. They come out to about 400 grains finished off with a 125 grain broadhead. That' s 7.27 grains per pound and they shoot fast and hit hard. And on the rare occasions they don' t find foam, they rarely break and never bend. Some people don' t like them for whatever reasons they' ve got. I love ' em.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:57 AM
COB

Jim said
Guy' s, I think that the weight issue is strickly in the minds of traditional archers
Well Jim I don' t know about any one else but when I shot the Gold Tip 55/75 out of my bow with no weights it sounded like I was dry firing my bow. Added weights and it sounded a lot better.

Still think carbon are to pickey to shoot!
Old 08-28-2003, 02:48 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

I' m using full length Beman 340' s out of my 57# Palmer. They weigh 505 grains and hit the chrono around 200 fps (give or take one or two). Full length Beman 400' s out of my 53# Chek-Mate fly the same speed.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Robert, let me clue you in to something they were talking about on the technical forum last week. Guys are buying 4-5 dozen carbon arrows, checking them for straightness, spine and weight, pulling out the best of them to make themselves a matched dozen, and then packaging them up again and selling their culls on Ebay.

They' re new arrows, but someone else' s leftovers.

And doesn' t that speak directly to the quality of most carbon arrows? Having to buy several dozen just to piece together a dozen that will match up. If I was a FITA shooter and had a sponsor that would buy X10' s for me, maybe -just maybe- I could get decent carbon arrows.

Hey Jim! You want to know why Trads are hung up on Traditions? BECAUSE WE' RE TRADS!
Old 08-29-2003, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

Jim, weighting arrows might be in the minds of traditional archers, but it' s probaby because a lot of traditional archers are hunters. The design flaw of carbons is that they' re too light for hunting. They don' t have enough weight to go through anything thick, such as bone, out of a traditional bow. As the physical laws of inertia state, an object with less mass has less inertia. The less inertia an object has, the easier it is to get it out of motion. That' s one quality I don' t want my arrows to have. I want my arrows to be able to take care of business on game and put the stomp on anything that might get in the way. Target archers don' t have to worry about penetrating a foam (or whatever else it' s made of) target. I agree that a strong selling point for carbons are their ability to recover quickly, but when it comes to hunting arrows, light weight isn' t something I want to hear. 700grs might be a little extreme, but I' d be afraid to shoot an arrow they weighed less than 500gr. 15gr per pound isn' t unneccessary for hunting. Granted it' s on the higher end of the spectrum, but it' d sure help when cutting through an animal. So if that defeats the design intention of carbon technology, then maybe it' s the carbon technology that' s flawed. But I' m just a traditionalist, so who knows.

Brandan
Old 08-29-2003, 06:39 PM

Brandon,
I' m leaving for Colorado on next week. I' ll let you know how the carbons work, I hope! Dick