Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Selfwood longbow

Old 11-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Spike

Default Selfwood longbow

I've been shooting from the 50 pounds selfwood hickory longbow for few months now, and I like it a lot, though it is cheap ebay build bow. Recently I started looking for the heavier pull bow 65 pounds plus. Few weeks ago I ordered another selfwood longbow from ebay. The bow was supposed to be 80 pounds pull. When I got the bow I realized right away it is much heavier bow, I clocked it at over 100 pounds. Also the lower limb is 3" shorter than the upper limb :-). So I guess you can say I was very disappointed and requested my money back.
So instead of getting another poorly build bow I want to spend a little more money and get a good selfbow, however I only get references for the laminated multilayered bows.
I would like to continue stay as traditional as possible and want to get a selfwood longbow. I could not find any reputable builders here in US that build good selfwood bows. Anyone knows good selfwood bow builders? If so please let me know. I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

Ted Fry at Raptor archery is the first that comes to my mind.......... http://www.raptorarchery.com/

Also, Jay St. Charles at Pacific Yew longbows.... http://www.selfbow.com/

You could also head over to primitivearcher.com and inquire over there.

Last edited by Chris W.; 11-28-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:16 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Gary Davis at Rattlestick bows. It's a selfbow though--not "selfwood".

Primitive bows are fun--I have three--but they aren't any more "traditional" than others. Ancient societies used horn to back bows with, and would have used fiberglass if it had been availible. The idea was to get as efficient a weapon as possible with what was available at the time.

My selfbows all have Dynaflight strings on them. If I had to use sinew, hide, etc. for strings I doubt I'd shoot them. They were made with modern tools as well as my arrows.

At any rate, shoot what makes you happy.

Chad