Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Turkey hunt

Old 11-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Spike

Default Turkey hunt

Any of the traditional guys do turkey hunting?
I am not much of a hunter, could never justify to myself why I need to kill deer or wild pig if I don't like how it taste. However, after I tasted wild turkey once I realized that is something you can't buy in the local store. I was sold on the turkey hunt with the first bite :-).
What do I need to know about turkey hunting?
I live in CA, is there anything specific I need to know for CA?
How far away do you try your shot on Turkey? I've been shooting comfortably from 40 yards on the target practice.
Do you look for turkey in the forest or seat and wait by the decoy?

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:30 AM
Dominant Buck

I hunt turkey with longbows. Turkey are hard to hunt. They have increadible eye sight. I can only imagine that hunting them from a tent blind would be the easiest, but since I have not done it, Im not sure. I have shot them from ground blinds ive made from litter in the woods. I have also shot them from a tree. The key, it to make sure they cannot see you when you draw. Which is very tough. Best way is to use a hen decoy and call them in. Throwing out a jake decoy helps to. That would be in spring. I call and find where the birds are then set up to where I can call them in.

I dont hunt wild turkey much anymore because I have not found a way to cook them that tastes any good. I do hunt them for their feathers. Dont get me wrong, I eat what I shoot, so I am not just killing them for the feathers.

Last edited by burniegoeasily; 11-10-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:34 AM
Spike

Thanks for the post.