Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Would this be cheating?? >

Would this be cheating??

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Would this be cheating??

Old 11-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default Would this be cheating??

I have been shooting my recurve for a few years but never took it into the stand with me. I plan to this week but would it be cheating if i still brought along my compound too?
Old 11-05-2011, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't have confidence in the bow or your shooting skills you shouldn't be hunting with it.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

bernie...........it wasn't a question of confidence .

however........BERNIE must be a fun guy in camp.

ANYWAY.......yes you may have more then one bow, or more then one gun when gun hunting.

Just no combinations of the two.

Easy with guns, but bows on the other hand.....your not going to change up quick enough wothout making a rattle box out of your blind.

I would use one for a week, and the other for a week. Then you'll really know what your wants are.

RIGHT BERNIE
Old 11-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Cheat? No. You do what you feel the best doing. I can understand where you are coming from. There have been many times Ive watched a great buck stroll buy, just out of my longbow range (25 or so yards). Many times ive thought, if I just had a compound, i could have that buck. Hunting is a personal thing, you do what makes you happy.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Buckyou
bernie...........it wasn't a question of confidence .

however........BERNIE must be a fun guy in camp.

RIGHT BERNIE
Wow, where did that come from. I agree with Bernie. If a person does not feel that comfortable with a particular bow, they should not bring it to the woods. I have bows, right now, that I just finished making. I will not take them into the field until I shot them in well and get confident with them. I do not think Bernie was making a statement about another persons ability.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:04 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

First off, is it legal? I'd think so.

Second, is it cheating? Depends I guess. IMO, you'd be cheating yourself. It's called "hunting" for a reason. The challenge is where the thrill comes from for me.

Finally, I agree with the Bernie's. If the reason you want to take the compound is because you aren't confident with the stick, then practice with the stick until you are confident before taking it in the woods.

Sure, you'll likely have situations where you'll think "man, if I'd just brought the compound!" Oh well...again, that's why it's called "hunting". I was in a primitive weapons unit in CO a few years ago on an elk hunt. First day in, while getting water for camp, two of us saw a big bull 150-200 yds away on the side of the mountain, in the wide open. A doable shot with an in-line muzzleloader...but we only took bows. Did I think, "If we only had a muzzleloader..."? I probably did--but I sure don't regret not having it. I didn't get a shot on that trip, but had a great time and if I get to go back, I will still only take my bow.

Chad
Old 11-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Brother it is called BOWHUNTING. I know this is the Traditional Forum, but I am of the opinion that any deer with any bow is a trophy , a stick and string or compound, it is something to be proud of. Keep practicing with your recurve, and take it in the woods with you. There will come a day when you are looking at a deer from your stand with your stick bow in hand, and it doesn't matter if you get a shot off or not. At that time , you will become a Traditional Bowhunter.
I still shoot my Bowtech General, but when I go in the woods stump shooting or hunting , I have my longbows and cedar arrows.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

You guys are right! I will leave the compound behind as it will only give me a 10 or so yard advantage anyway. Ahhhh but the X bow on the other hand????? HAHA just kiddin
Old 11-06-2011, 05:27 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It might be aggravating when you have to pass on a shot just out of range, but to me it's so much more rewarding when it all comes together--well worth the wait!

Chad
Old 11-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Fork Horn

I was watching a show one time and the guy had his traditional recurve with homemade flint and the whole works, but he was hunting during rifle season and had his rifle with him to. Needless to say he had a good buck at 20 yds and it saw his movement and buggered out of there, so he just set the bow down and dropped him at around 150 yds I thought it was very interesting. Just thought I would share that.