Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
dodged a bullet today ... >

dodged a bullet today ...

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

dodged a bullet today ...

Old 09-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

yea. this bow had more sentimental value to my dad and i. the man who gave it to me was so thrilled that it would go to good use, im really disapointed but i might be able to get it back together somehow just to hang it on the wall.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

well lesson learned and no injury. It does suck when one breaks though. I bought a new string for my recurve a few years back. It was supposed to be non fast flight but after 3rd pull it cut down my limbs about 6 inches on each end. Ruined the bow and left me without for a few weeks.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:08 PM
Spike

Not trying to take anything away from the use of bow stringers but, if you look at the pictures of where the bow broke, I'm not sure I wouldn't rather have that break behind my hip instead of right under my jaw, or possibly my eye.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Spike

Always use a stringer bro. I was at the range tonight, and I'm the only traditional shooter in the hunter league. Also one of the few trad archers at the range, some kid saw me using a stringer and was amazed. I noticed he was a trad shooter, and we conversed. He told he's been shooting trad for a few months and uses the step thru method. I couldn't help but shake my head and tell him buy a stringer. I've seen one guy almost lose his eye using step thru. Not cool.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:49 AM
Spike

Whatever method you use, be careful. That is the main concern.

I, personally, have seen more people smacked in the head when their stringer broke or slipped off the bow limb. I've also seen hundreds of older bows with twisted limbs and the majority were from improper storage (left strung or stood up in a corner somewhere).

Bow stringers are kind of like safety harnesses. A lot of the hype and the horror stories are fueled by the sellers of those products.