Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Feathers vs Vanes?  Scuff on arrow rest? >

Feathers vs Vanes? Scuff on arrow rest?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Feathers vs Vanes? Scuff on arrow rest?

Old 07-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Feathers vs Vanes? Scuff on arrow rest?

Hey guys, the newbie is back with more questions. I have one questions but I believe it may lead to another. I shoot about a 42# recurve and just started. First questions is, is there a difference between feathers and plastic vanes when it comes to shooting a traditional bow? I originially got feathers but they are all coming off after not that many shots. Do vanes stick better to aluminum arrows than feathers? I'm all for tradional but if I can get the same performance from vanes and not have to refletch all the time, I'll make the switch. Now if they should stick the same, I wonder if its my arrows and what I shoot? I have 2117 arrows 400 grain which ive been told is very heavy. I have hopes of hunting with these so I wanted as heavy as possible. They are 30" arrows. I am very consistant up to 15yds which would be my max hunting distance due to bow weight and my accuracy. Now out of the dozen arrows, just about all of them have feathers off. some the feathers start peeling at the bottom, some the top, and some in the middle where its just hanging on at the ends so its all random. Now there is scuffing on my arrow rest as showed in the pic. I do not know if this is normal or if my arrow is fish tailing and rubbing when I shoot. Any thoughts? Bad batch of glued feathers? Go to vanes? Change arrow weight? WHat about the arrow rest? THANKS a bunch guys!
Attached Thumbnails Feathers vs Vanes?  Scuff on arrow rest?-photo.jpg  
Old 07-04-2011, 04:43 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It looks like you are shooting beside the flipper rest? If you are going to use the flipper, the arrow sits on top of the little arm. If you want to shoot off the shelf, remove the flipper rest entirely.

Sounds like a bunch of different things. Vanes don't stick any better than glue--sounds like a bad glue job. You get better flight from feathers, except when using certain types of rests.

For tuning advice, go to www.bowmaker.net . It's the best I've ever seen on the www.

Chad
Old 07-04-2011, 05:04 AM
Fork Horn

If you're going to shoot off the shelf via a rug rest, feathers. Vanes and shooting off the shelf don't play well together.

If you're going to use an elevated rest like a flipper rest, you can use vanes.

Last edited by Night Wing; 07-05-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest using Bohning's arrow shaft cleaner before fletching with either feathers-vanes or aluminum-carbon.With vanes I would also use it to clean the base's if you switch to vanes.Your 30" 2117 is to stiff for a 45lb bow.Try the 2018 instead.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

OH MY! I think Im about to be really embarassed if i understand LBR correctly! The arrow should be on the higher smaller arm on the rest???? I've been using the bigger lower and it cradles the arrow perfectly but it explains a lot. I attached two pics here, the one with the arrow on the lower arm is how i was doing it, the higher is how I think I understood it should be shot? Oh man, am i a rookie at tradional or what!?
Attached Thumbnails Feathers vs Vanes?  Scuff on arrow rest?-photo5.jpg   Feathers vs Vanes?  Scuff on arrow rest?-photo6.jpg  
Old 07-04-2011, 08:55 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

The second picture is correct--not sure what's causing the rubbing on the arm though?

If you fletch your own arrows, acetone is a great cleaner for the shafts and feather bases--use proper precautions though.

Chad
Old 07-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Phew! Thanks for the reply, I would have felt really dumb if I wasn't even using the rest correctly. I'm going to set up a video camera and see if I can super slow motion it to see what is rubbing on the rest.

I bought my arrows already fletched from 3Rivers Archery. I am going to start fletching my own now however since I have almost a dozen barely used arrows with no fletching. Thanks for the advice, i'll be using it
Old 07-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Spike

You're getting those marks on the rest because you absolutely 100% without question have the wrong arrows for that draw weight. They are too stiff and the nock end of the arrow is banging off the rest and riser. That is also not helping any with having the fletch come off. Its working to try and strip the fletch off.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Rednef
You're getting those marks on the rest because you absolutely 100% without question have the wrong arrows for that draw weight. They are too stiff and the nock end of the arrow is banging off the rest and riser. That is also not helping any with having the fletch come off. Its working to try and strip the fletch off.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Spike

if in fact you are shooting 42#@28" i would recomend you try 1916 shafts with 125-145 tips with feathers. yes the arrow should set on the long arm of the rest........... my first post here, don't wish to step on any toes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.