Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Charity Tournament

Old 06-08-2011, 08:37 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default Charity Tournament

June 25th and 26th at Enid Lake, just outside Batesville, MS. Plenty of camping space, RV hookups, and hotel rooms just minutes away (I'll be in a hotel in Batesville).

This is the Southern Traditional Archery Association's annual "Catch-a-Dream" charity tournament. For details on the CAD, go to catchadream.org.

Short version, when the "Make a Wish" foundation decided it wasn't pollitically correct to send a dying child on a hunting or fishing trip, the CAD was formed. That's what they do.

We picked the CAD for our charity for a number of reasons. Obviously we feel it's a great cause, but something else is unique about this charity. Unlike most others, when you donate a dollar to the CAD, one full dollar goes towards the cause. No overhead costs, no "executive fees" that may eat up as much as 90% of donations. Mississippi State University at Starkville donates office space and a secretary. Everything else is volunteer. At one point there may be a requirement to pay a CPA to keep the books straight, but nobody gets paid for any other work they do.

Another site has a big deal for St. Judes. That's a great cause, but a club I shoot with tried to do a fund raiser for them and they said they would gladly take the money, but the club couldn't use the St. Jude's name for the fundraiser due to "legal purposes". Guess they weren't raising enough money. That turned me off to them big time.

Anyway...we'll have a great course set out, a big auction (we plan to auction off some used targets as well), lots of nice donated prizes, a chance to win the coveted "Cry Baby" tomahawk...come shoot with us!

Chad