Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Just About Cried....

Old 02-13-2011, 05:06 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default Just About Cried....

Would have if I thought it would help. Was shooting my Eric Krewson BBO today--shooting it pretty dang good, had about decided it was going to be my serious tournament bow this season. On one target, a split second before I released, I heard and felt a little crack--oh crap. After inspection, I saw the bamboo backing had cracked about 1/3 up the top limb. Talk about a sick feeling!

The good news in Eric can replace the backing. Bad news is I have at least 3 tournaments coming up soon and no way it will be done for them...arrrggghhh! I have a couple of other self bows I can shoot, and my longbow, and my recurve.....but it won't be the same. Oh well.....
Old 02-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Banned

I feel for you. I always wanted a Eric BBO. He said he isn't making them to sell anymore unless someone is a close friend.

I had that issue with a bamboo backed IPE and I took elk sinew and put a heavy wrap on. Its still shooting.

Did it crack width wise or down the bamboo? Did it go at a node? Thats where I had all my issues.

I ahve been having better luck with hickory backing.

How many shots do you think you have thru it?
Old 02-14-2011, 05:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Hate to hear it.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:18 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It cracked straight across, and not at a node. Eric said this is the first time it's happened with this paticular bamboo, but I know stuff happens--especially with my draw length.

I'm lucky to be able to call Eric a friend. He gave me this bow, which just made me feel that much worse. Less than 1,000 shots through it--just a bad piece of bamboo.

Last year he started only making them for friends and charities. I'd wanted to buy one myself for a long time, but something always came up. It's probably the best shooting selfbow I've ever had my hands on--out-shoots a lot of laminated bows.

I've got to get it to him so I'll have it for the rest of the summer. He's within driving distance for me, but it's a pretty good drive--an hour or better--might just mail it.

Chad
Old 02-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Banned

Holy cow, straight across?????

Thats quite an accomplishment. But as I am reminded all the time. These things called selfbows are really out of your control. An organic unpredictable thing.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:33 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It's not exactly a straight, clean break, but it did break across the fibers. It amazed me how much weight that little strip of bamboo added--I noticed that when I unstrung the bow.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LBR
It's not exactly a straight, clean break, but it did break across the fibers. It amazed me how much weight that little strip of bamboo added--I noticed that when I unstrung the bow.
I am just amazed it didn't fret the belly.

When I made my IPE/Boo bow, I floor tillered the IPE blank, and it felt like 40lbs, threw the backing on, and went to like 80lbs.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:05 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

As best I can tell, the osage is fine--just haven't decided which bow I'll shoot for the next little while.

This coming Saturday I have a tournament in Collierville, TN; the following weekend a tournament in McCalla, AL (Tannehill St. Park--same place as the Howard Hill); then the weekend after that I'll be in Silver Springs, FL for the FL State Championship. Maybe he'll have it ready for FL....sure hope so....
Old 02-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Wow, only the boo. Usually when you get backing failure, you dont know until the limb breaks.

Funny you posted this subject, i just finished rebuilding a recurve for a kid. He had a 45lb custom build by a bowyer I have never heard of. It delamed and the riser was broke in two. It took a while but I got it all back together and tillered back to 45lbs @28". He was a happy camper. I need to get back in the shop. I have two special bows I have got to get started. Ive promised two good friends bows and have yet to get them built for them.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:00 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

If nothing happens, I'll be headed to Eric's house tomorrow. He's only around 70 miles from me. He's going to replace the boo on the bow he made, and help me shape the grip on a hickory bow I made--I'll use it as a back-up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.