Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 proper string position >

proper string position

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

proper string position

Old 07-22-2003, 06:00 PM

Default proper string position

When shooting with a glove is it proper to have the string in the joints of the first knuckles, which is how it appears in most pictures. I experimented today with keeping the string on the pads of the finger tips and seem to get a more consistent release with less plucking. It isn' t as " secure" feeling and occasionally I have a tendency to twist the arrow off the shelf. But this, combined with a more upright posture and less bow and head cant has minimized the left impact problem I mentioned in my other post. I still think I probably should drop down to 60-65# spine on my next dozen.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:12 PM

Default RE: proper string position

Gripping the string with the pads of the fingers causes undue tension in the back of the hand, preventing a clean and consistent release. Most people recommend a deep hook grip with the string in the first joint of the index and middle finger, which serves to relax the back of the hand. Since you' ve changed your posture and head position at the same time, it' s really difficult to assign the improved shooting to any one cause. When making changes in your form, you should only change one thing at a time and evaluate the results, before making further changes.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Current wisdom is to grab the string with the deep hook into the joints, and it is a stronger hold. I' ve tried it, but with the deep hook I wind up with a cupped hand. I still prefer to shoot off the pads of my fingertips. I get the string on the back of the pad on my middle finger, right in front of the joint, with the index finger and middle finger holding midway up the pads. The index finger and ring finger aren' t supposed to be holding as much weight anyway.

I' ve shot draw weights up to 120 pounds using that grip (when I was younger and had more testosterone than brains).
Old 07-23-2003, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

There isn' t really a proper way to shoot, just go with what works, but I shoot off the pads of my fingers. I think part of it has to do with the style of glove you use. I had a glove that had some thick leather so I could get a clean release out of a deep hook. Now I' m shooting a damascus which is pretty thin, too thin really, so if I try to shoot with a deep hook I' ll end up plucking the string and anticipating the release and all that bad stuff. So I draw back with a deep hook and about mid draw I let the string slip off the joint but still hold it behind the pads. With good back tension and good push/pull it' s a very clean and consistent release. Twisting the arrow off the shelf I think is more from pulling with the top fingers more than the bottom. Try holding more with the last finger and it should help keep the arrow on the shelf. You mentioned head cant. I' m not positive what you meant by that, but you don' t really want to cant with the head. It' s more in the waist. I second what Floxter said about changing one thing at a time. That way when you find out what works you can stick with it. And if it ain' t broke don' t fix it.

Brandan