Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

arrow spine question

Old 07-20-2003, 06:41 PM

Default arrow spine question

I' ve recently made the switch from aluminum to cedars. I' m shooting a 60" longbow @ 51#' s. Arrows are spined 65-70# and are cut to 28.5" with 125g heads. The heavier spine was the bowyer' s recommendation and he and the arrow builder watched as I shot several arrows of different spine before I bought these, but I was shooting at any empty bale with no dot and my form was probably not what it is now. They seem to leave the bow cleanly enough, but the problem is I impact left of aimpoint consistently( usually 3-4" left @ 15 yards and 6-7" out past 20). I thought maybe I was pulling my bow arm and it just needed strengthening because I converted to traditional only about 6 months ago, but I' m beginning to wonder if I may be overspined becuase I switched back to the 2213' s @ 28" arrows that I learned on and the problem goes away. They are probably 200 grains lighter and I' m guessing borderline underspined. Help, hunting season approacheth!
Old 07-20-2003, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: arrow spine question

First thing I thought is that those arrows are way too stiff. Fifteen to twenty pounds over the bow weight for a longbow-which I doubt is cut to center-can' t be right. If they' re cut to 28.5" I' m going to assume you' re drawing 28" . The arrows impacting left of aim point does suggest they' re too stiff, but pay attention to how the arrows stick out of the target. If the tail is sticking to the right, they' re too stiff; if the tail is sticking to the left they' re too weak. Three to four inches at fifteen yards is probly more than bad aim; especially if you' re grouping them consistently three to four inches left of your point of aim. Granted I' m not the most knowledgable guy around here, but I believe your arrows are too stiff. Try putting a 145gr head on them and see if that drops the spine enough. If it doesn' t, try going with about a 60-65# with the 125gr and 145gr and see which works better. But these are just the thoughts of a greenhorn that doesn' t know everything. But don' t be afraid to keep askin questions. It' s a lot easier than going at it blind.

Brandan