Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Dacron

Old 10-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Spike

Default Dacron

When I started in archery back in 1974 dacron was all I ever knew. Now, I've had the chance to shoot and own a lot of bows using different string materials, but, I know most of it is personal preference ....but on a recurve I've found myself going back to Dacron.
A couple of bows I've owned I like D-97 , Pittsley Predator being one of them. I dont care for the more rougher quick pop of f/f on most recurves I've shot. Dacron ,to me, has somewhat of a more softer pleasant feel on the shot. I know some folks say the opposite...that's why archery is so personal.
Have any of you found that you prefer Dacron? Just curious.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:35 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I won't hardley shoot a bow if it won't accept FF type materials. Dacron drives me nuts, with the stretch. The one exception is a bow I was given--a "fake" Choctaw, made by Jerry Pierce's son-in-law with Jerry's materials on Jerry's presses. It was given to me by one of Jerry's sons, and I promised I'd try to take some game with it. The good thing is it's a lighter draw weight and doesn't stretch the string much.

I like FF type materials because they are much tougher, and have much less stretch and creep. I don't like the new fad of "tiny" strings because you loose those properties for the most part with them.

I've learned that how the string is made, now many strands, the material, nock fit, tuning, etc. etc. etc. plays a major role in how it sounds and feels. I even use Dynaflight or 8125 on my selfbows. I was just out back shooting my new Eric Krewson selfbow with the new 8125 string (12 strand) I made for it--the two guys visiting were amazed at how whisper quiet it is.

My point is there's a lot more to how a bow shoots, sounds, and feels than just the string material.

Chad
Old 10-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Spike

I do prefer f/f on longbows. I owned a Pittsley Predator that I liked with D-97.
I only use 10 strands of D-97 on my longbows I had [45-50 lb range]. Recurves for me are a different story [most of the ones I've shot]. That's what is so funny.... some times one guy likes just the opposite, personal preference. I'l say one thing I've had a few of your strings Chad and they're very well made....I like the padded loops.
Clay
Old 10-23-2010, 08:58 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I admit I'm not much of a recurve shooter--I prefer longbows and selfbows. I do plan to hunt with this Choctaw though. It had fur silencers on it, and one flew off when I shot it (dry-rotted). I took the other off, and it was unbelieveably noisy. After 3-4 shots, I went back in my shop and installed some cat whiskers--the difference was amazing--now it's one of the quieter bows I've shot, even with an endless string.

I appreciate the good word on the strings--I think the padded loop helps, especially on a recurve.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:55 AM
Fork Horn

I'm the opposite. I have two recurve take down bows. I prefer Dyna97 on them instead of Dacron. I like the extra "oomph" Dyna gives over Dacron. As for quietness, both of my bow's bowstrings have "no" string silencers attached to them because both bows are so quiet upon arrow release, string silencers are not needed.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

The real difference is the lack of stretch in the newer materials.You can just use fewer strands of FF though you'll likely have to build up the string some in the serving area and around the nock loops.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:32 AM
Spike

With me, it's more about the feel of the f/f on a recurve....feel of the shot, kinda quick pop feel.
I have shot a few recurves that the f/f felt good to me. There again, I know it's personal preference.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Spike

I've only shot D97 and B-50. I don't really have a preference when it comes to performance. A couple of feet per second doesn't seem to matter to me. That being said - I guess B-50 is cheaper.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:22 AM
Dominant Buck

I can relate. I make all my strings out of dacron, with few exceptions. Started way back when dacron 50 was the big thing. Most of the bows I make are all wood bows. I like dacron because it is a bit heavier and a tad slower. I know that sounds crazy, but with a wood bow, I like a string that is less violent. With that said, Ive made endless loop stings for my glass lam recurves. The key to using a faster string is to have reenforced tips. I make all my tips out of antler, phinolic, glass,etc.. That way I can shoot what ever material I want.

Heck, I've have killed deer with sinew strings. It all about what you like and your ability to use what you have.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:58 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It all about what you like and your ability to use what you have.
Right on. I get on a soapbox sometimes because some people start inventing reasons to shy away from HMPE materials, talking about broken bows and shortened bow lifespans, etc.

That being said - I guess B-50 is cheaper.
It is up-front for sure, but I don't know about in the long run. The HMPE materials are much tougher, but I couldn't say they will last twice or three times as long. On the flip side, strings are probably at the bottom of the list when it comes to expenses for our habit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.