Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Good news and bad

Old 10-07-2010, 08:01 PM
bigcountry

Default Good news and bad

So, I snuck out of work today at 3PM, went hunting. Zipper recurve in hand.

Forgot my boots and went hunting in dress shoes. I got winded by a group of 5. Seen 10 more deer. Got winded again. I must have stink. Anyway this doe kept blowing and blowing. But stook 26-28yards away. She kept it up so I gave her something to huff and puff about. I saw the arrow disappear. Looked perfect.

After a while found a red blood soaked arrow with 2 blade magnus. Never in my life have I tracked such a sparse blood trail. It took over 1 hour to move 50 yards. Got a buddy, and he went rambo just looking in the thicket.

Good news is he found her 50 yards away. (100 yards total). Another good news is, perfect heart shot. Bad news is, why did my magnus leave such a poor trail???? I am talking hands and knees little spots every 5 yards. I have shot a few animals with em, and never had this bad of a trail.

I am just shocked, complete heart passthru, no blood. Well, hopefully tenderloins is on the menu tomorrow night.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

Occasionally the wound will seal it self and limit the blood trail. Of course eventually it busts and pours out. I would assume you found a generous amount of blood when you found her. I use mangus but I am switching to a 3 blade cut on contact this year. Glad you got her and not the coyotes.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well first congrats on the kill. Second, All I can tell you is that 2 blade heads tend to yield more sparse blood trails. And in general blood trails are very unpredictable and highly variable things. Shot a doe from a tree stand once with a 4 blade muzzy at 18 yards. Nailed her tight behind the shoulder with a low exit wound on the offside. No excuse for there not to be a good blood trail. But from where my arrow was buried in the dirt to to the spot I found her 70 yards away I could not find one single speck of blood. No rhyme or reason to it sometimes.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:50 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Congrats!

On the blood, sometimes weird things just happen. There's no fool-proof head. That she went 150 yds heart-shot is something too. I still shoot 2 and 3 blade, and couldn't say which has left a better trail for me. My buddy shoots 2-blades and usually gets great blood, but he's also the best tracker I've ever seen. He can track a flea with a limp through a sand storm...well, almost.

Anyhow....congrats again!

Chad
Old 10-08-2010, 04:12 AM
bigcountry

I have always heard a heart shot is not always the best shot. Never been a problem before. But some say, without the pump, sometiems the blood will just say in the body where it was espcially if the pump was compressing at the time of impact. Who knows.

Thanks guy.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

It is possible that if the heart is hit then you are relying on muscle tissue to contract to move blood. This is obviously not as effective as the hydrolic pressure that is created by the heart. I dont believe the broadhead was at fault.....Great shot by the way!!!
Old 10-08-2010, 06:53 AM
bigcountry

Still love that feeling of a trad kill.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Congrats.

Ive had many heart shots, with different types of heads do as you say. I have also had them bleed like crazy and Ive had them leave very little as far as blood trails.. I think in many cases, it is relative to the angle of the shot as well as the tension in the muscles. Most of the deer Ive heart shot while alert, have left very little as far as blood trails.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:07 PM
bigcountry

I have some 3 blade snuffers, I thought about trying. They don't fly as good as my 2 blade magnus.

Which bh do you use?

Old 10-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think its cause the 2 blade leaves a slit, rather than an X if you will..i think a slit closes up easier. i use the snuffers..3 blade 125's, only had one time when i hit her high, it took 50 yards fer blood to come out, but it was pourin and she only made it 20 more yards... never had a lack of blood other than that....since i started with the snuffers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.