Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Recurve Advice

Old 09-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Spike

Default Recurve Advice

Hey guys, Ive been looking into getting a decent Recurve bow to start target shooting and possibly deer hunting if I'm decent enough with it. It's also going to second as continuing rehab for my shoulder that was banged up pretty good.

I'll start off with saying I've done a lot of research and I still feel like I know nothing about it! I did determine that a 60" 50# draw bow seems ideal for me. I was looking at some of the different bows that were around me, they had a Hoyt Dorado, Gamemaster, PSE Coyote and a few Martians. To be honest I couldn't tell one much from the other. Is there any particular bows that are very stand out for the amount of money spent on them?
Old 09-29-2010, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

If you've had shoulder surgery and you've never shot a recurve bow, I don't recommend a 50# bow. Think along the lines of a 40#-45# bow. There is no letoff like a compound bow has. I suggest before you buy a 50# bow sight unseen, you go to a trad shop and demo shoot a 50# bow. When you do, your shoulder will determine what poundage is best for you.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Spike

IF you do choose recurve I would suggest a Fred Bear bow around 40-45 pounds as well. I'd either get a Grizzly model or a Montana or Patriot Longbow.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

If you can't find one reasonable Pm me I have an AMF Redwing Hunter Pro I could part with at a fair price. 62" 45lb draw
Old 09-30-2010, 04:46 AM
Spike

My next stop will be an archery shop, I definitely want to shoot a few bows prior to picking one. I'll test some of the different weights as well, shoulder has been rehab'd for 6 months now but I want to go on with continuing rehab and strengthening.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I would echo what has been said. And like what has been said, I would not go heavy at all. There is a big difference in drawing the bow once or twice and actually shooting it several times and working on form. And if you shoulder is messed up, you will really get discouraged trying to shoot to heavy of a bow. Your form will suck with a bumb sholder and a moderatly heavy bow. I would look at shooting a bow less than 40 lbs, that is if you have the bumb shoulder still. If the shoulder is in decent shape, you would be fine with a 45lbs bow. It all depends on your strenght level and how well the shoulder is doing.

I shot 60 + long and recurve bows regularly, and this summer I had a slightly messed up shoulder and some bumb fingers. I had to go down to a light longbow to get my form back down. I went down to a 50 lb longbow to get my shot back on. I started with my normal bows and found my form was horrible because I was compensating for the pain from the shoulder. It took a few days to get the shoulder and fingers loosened up. After that, I am back to my normal bows and will be hunting with a 65lb longbow this Sunday afternoon. That is if my schedual doesnt change.