Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Flemish Strings--Explain This One To Me >

Flemish Strings--Explain This One To Me

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Flemish Strings--Explain This One To Me

Old 12-21-2009, 07:42 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default Flemish Strings--Explain This One To Me

I've posted the same thing on a few sites--maybe someone can answer?

Anyone that knows me knows I'm not exactly a stranger to flemish strings. I haven't kept an accurate count, but I know in the last few years I've averaged making at least 1,000 strings a year or more, mostly flemish.
Over the years, I've heard a blurb here and there about some bowyers that recommend against using a flemish string--some very strongly. However, I've yet to hear a reasonable explanation as to why--could someone fill me in?
Since he's no longer in the business of making bows, I'll mention one name--which happens to be the most recent I heard about--Jack Harrison. Does anyone know his reasoning, or what anyone else has said? Has anyone actually done any tests to prove anything?
Chad
Old 12-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Does anyone know his reasoning, or what anyone else has said? Has anyone actually done any tests to prove anything?
Chad.

I have heard about some guys using endless strings but no real reasoning as to why, maybe the endless takes less time to make.

As far as testing goes I have not heard of anyone doing and tests.

As far as I am concerned every bow I make will come with a Flemish string.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

Not sure why anyone would be against using a flemish string. Personally, I've never seen much of a difference between comparable flemish and endless loop strings through the chrono. I use mainly endless loop simply because I find I'm more consistant in length from string to string and I can spin one out pretty quick.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:50 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I've posted the same question on a few sites. I've recieved some "information" from Jack Harrison's book and the paperwork he sent out with his bows (you actually void the warranty on his bows if you use a flemish OR any type of dacron string!), and he says he's done tests (a difference of 8-10 fps according to him), but that's all so far.

A side question--anyone ever heard of B-60?
Old 12-23-2009, 09:43 AM
bigcountry

That is strange. ONly thing I can figure is endless is "neater". The string wieght is more proportioned. But if you don't know, I sure wouldn't know.

Keep us updated on what people says.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I had nothing but bad luck with flemish strings , i don't use them anymore.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:21 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Kosherboy
Personally I had nothing but bad luck with flemish strings , i don't use them anymore.
Curious what kinda bad luck? I have bad luck making quality flemish strings.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Ive been making flemish and endless loop. I have also heard some say they do not like flemish strings, but it is usually due to the weight. With glass bows, most guys like to use a fast string. That is the only reason I can think of being an issue. Acutally, a flemish string, with a heavy material is better for you bow, due to its extra intertia. Not as violent on the limbs. As for problems caused by a flemish string, I have never heard one. I actually shoot flemish strings on every bow I have right now.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only disadvantages I'm aware of are-
Take longer to make
They weigh more/slower arrow speed
Tend to stretch more which also contributes to less speed
The wax tends to cause the string to stick to the limbs some (recurves) which makes a little noise as it pulls away that might spook a critter as you draw.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by LBR
I've posted the same question on a few sites. I've recieved some "information" from Jack Harrison's book and the paperwork he sent out with his bows (you actually void the warranty on his bows if you use a flemish OR any type of dacron string!), and he says he's done tests (a difference of 8-10 fps according to him), but that's all so far.

A side question--anyone ever heard of B-60?
I've seen 5-7 fps difference going from dacron to some of the newer low stretch materials, but never that kind of spread by simply going from a flemish to endless loop or visa versa. Never heard of a bow warranty being voided by using dacron. Use to be the other way around on some bows. Never heard of B-60 either, at least not yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.