Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Becoming Bowyer

Old 11-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Becoming Bowyer

I am interested in building my own bows. I also was wondering if I should start with a kit that just needs tillering? I am good with my hands and very attentive to detail.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

It can be a lot of fun and be frustrating at the same time.

If you like you can come up here and use my shop to build one from scratch. Just pay for materials and electricity.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:23 AM
Fork Horn

I'm new to this endeavor myself. I started a couple of years ago - broke a lot of sticks and then laid off until recently when time opened up for me. I still broke a bunch more bows - learning all the time and reading as much as I could (recommend "The Bowyer's Bible, 3 volumes in paperback. Get volume one at least.)
Within the last month I have completed my first two bows that have held together. One is from Black Locust - 64" and 50lbs at 28". The second was finished two days ago - Osage Orange, 62" and about 45lbs at 26".
I had a cherry wood bow virtually done, 66" rawhide backed, tillered well (or so I thought), nice looking bow. Broke on the fourth shot - one limb just cracked in half.
Made a mistake somewhere.
Get yourself some wood and some hand tools. Make the thing from scratch. You'll learn more.
Pete

Last edited by Pete D.; 11-17-2009 at 03:52 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:47 AM
bigcountry

If building selfbows, read Dean Torges book first. Then read traditional bowyers bible vol1. All 4 volumns are helpful but vol 1 is best for starters.

You can order blanks from several sources that just need tillered and finished. If still interested I can point you to a few bowyers who sells them.

If you are interested fiberglass bows, then I would go with the bingham videos. Trad bowyers bibles help a little but are more geared to all wood bows.

Last edited by bigcountry; 11-04-2009 at 06:50 AM.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Just jump in. You can start with a kit, or you can go with a simple oak board bow that is easy, quick, and requires almost no tools. It will help you understand the tillering process. If you want to avoid the headache of tillering, you can always jump into the glass lam bows. Much easier to finish. The issue is in the glue up. But that issue is with any bow period. All depends on how froggy you want to get.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

Feeling like a good oh Bull Frog. Gonna jump in with both feet.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

Gonna start with red oak with a red cedar handle backed with mess drywall tape.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:03 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Centxrecurve
Gonna start with red oak with a red cedar handle backed with mess drywall tape.
Not a bad start. Just pick out the right board, and get a design and start cutting. Be sure to show picks of the tillering progress. Always good to get fresh eyes looking.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

Well the Bow is roughed in and have the riser glued on. I will get a tiller tree built tom. LOL Here is a pic of bow as is.

68" tip to tip Red Oak
10" 3/4" Red Cedar riser
1/2" at tips tapered back 14.5"
Belly Faded from riser at 3/4" to 3/8" on tips
Rounded edges on Belly to 1/4" from back

How much would the material and electricity be Kanga. I am working in Glen Rose during the week
Attached Thumbnails Becoming Bowyer-picture-8.jpg   Becoming Bowyer-picture-9.jpg   Becoming Bowyer-picture-10.jpg  
Old 11-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

How much would the material and electricity be Kanga.
That depends on how fancy you want to get but the glass and action boo will set ya back about $55.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.