Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
looking in to getting a recurve >

looking in to getting a recurve

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

looking in to getting a recurve

Old 10-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default looking in to getting a recurve

i have compound hunted for years but all ways wanted a recurve what would be a good low end bow to start out with i have a 28" draw and have shot a 45# recurve a few times and didnt have a problem with that poundage dont have alot of $$ to spend on 1 right now some thing around 100$ or so i know im probably not going to find one for that but any ideas will be great thanks guys
Old 10-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Spike

Check out craigslist. I have picked up a couple of nice recurves from there. If you go to tradgang website they have a classified area. they all have decent biws and the guys will help you out also. I have a 43 pound ben person bow that i baught from a garage sale that has harvested a few deer and now i am shooting a martin vision and love it. The only draw back is is is long almost 6'.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Keep an eye on tradgang.com's classifieds. You can find some great deals on a older Bear Grizzly, it will kill deer all day long! Great bows that are around $125 - $175.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

or see if you can drop on a Bear Montana , i heard great things about these longbows .
Old 01-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Spike

Head over to Traditional Outdoor Supply which is inside of Wilderness Dreams Sport Shop in Sand Lake. I'm guessing by your screen name that you don't live too far from there??!! I have not been in the store as of yet but I have heard great things about their traditional bows and a helpful/knowledgable staff. Guys on here have said the same thing. The owners name is Tom and from what I gather he is more than willing to help out the new guys. I plan on making it over there myself soon to feed this burning desire to go traditional!! Good luck.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

For a starter bow, it's hard to beat a used recurve from the 60's and 70's. I've started out a few friends with an old Browning Apollo. It's a long 66" and a light 40#. The grip is comfortable for most, the poundage is low enough that you can focus on form and technique and not holding too much weight. You want to be able to contol the bow without your muscles showing any fatigue or stress. Eventually you will probably acquire bows of different weight and length and style. But in the begining keep it light, 36 to 40 and the longer bows are easier to control and are more comfortable to shoot and learn on. And with a little searching, you might find one for your price, although they seem to have gone up some in the last few years.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your best bet would be to look for an old Bear,Martin or Pearson.Be sure to check that the limbs aren't twisted.A fairly common problem on older recurves from improper stringing or storing/standing the bow on end.Good luck!