Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Very Bad Day

Old 09-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default Very Bad Day

Was shooting today and my 55lbs recurve popped when I released it and the limbs split about 2 inches on each end. The only thing different I did was change my string to a flemish twist. Luckily I have a another recurve but it is only 45lbs. I do not know exactly why my bow decided to give out today. Guess I will patiently wait for Kent to get caught up and start building more bows.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Banned

Man that's to bad dude. Sorry that happened.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kent got all the moving done now he has to get back into the bow building mode! What happened to you moving out to the Permian basin area?
Old 09-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

got an opportunity to expand an HVAC business to the Houston Area
Old 09-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like better idea than having to move out here! More work and hunting back that way!
Old 09-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

yes sir just need good bow to do it with
Old 09-15-2009, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Did the limb break pretty much right after the new string? What material was it made out of?
Old 09-15-2009, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

A new flemish twist string should have a fair amount of stretch in it.The only things I can think of that might have caused the break would be either way to many strands if made from Dacron or the arrows you're using are to light.Either would force the bow to absorb to much energy.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default Dont know

I am not sure of what string is made of. Same length and same arrows I was using with the fast flight string. Arrows are are Gold Tip Expedition Hunter 5575 at 29.5 inches
Old 09-15-2009, 08:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I have been haveing the itch to build more bows. Still got to whip out a self bow your you Rowell. I actually went to my big shop last night and almost grabed a couple of staves.

Centxrecurve
When you say split, do you mean delam, or split down the middle of the limb. If it delamed, that is no problem. It is due to the epoxy not being cured right. It can be put back together. If it is split down the middle, and not too far, it could be piked and side tillerd back to the weight you want. As for the flemish string, if it is of dacron, that should be a very safe string. Dacron flemish string is a heavy slower string, which is better for your bow. The fastflight materials are more harmful to a bow. Faster and no problem, provided the tips are of a material that can handle the speed. I will only put a fastflight sting on bows with polymer tips, bone tips, horn tips, or antler. Wood tips will not handle a fast string.

Last edited by burniegoeasily; 09-15-2009 at 08:58 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.