Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Man, my shot is all over the place. >

Man, my shot is all over the place.

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Man, my shot is all over the place.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Man, my shot is all over the place.

I have not had a chance to shoot a bow since Dec. . Yesterday, I pulled out two bows that I plan on hunting with (one of my longbows and recurve). Holy crap, my shot has gone all the heck. I have never been this off. I can’t remember a time I had this much trouble getting back into it. I’m going to have to do some serious practicing. Ill get it back, but man, it was bad.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:03 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by burniegoeasily
I have not had a chance to shoot a bow since Dec. . Yesterday, I pulled out two bows that I plan on hunting with (one of my longbows and recurve). Holy crap, my shot has gone all the heck. I have never been this off. I can’t remember a time I had this much trouble getting back into it. I’m going to have to do some serious practicing. Ill get it back, but man, it was bad.
Bad for you is probably like a decent day for us. Well can you hit a pie plate at 20yards 90% of the time?

Old 08-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Bad for you is probably like a decent day for us. Well can you hit a pie plate at 20yards 90% of the time?
I appreciate the kind words.

My shot was bearly in a pie pan at 20 yards with at least one or two arrows way out of the group. Every group looked like I had just thrown my arrows at the target. Hope it was just a really off day. I guess tonight ill just focuse on form and see if I can get rid of my form problems. Looks like it is time to shoot everyday. Thank God Ill now have the time to.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:04 PM
bigcountry

My biggest enemy is my grip. I am sure you will work it out. What you hunting with?

Old 08-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
My biggest enemy is my grip. I am sure you will work it out. What you hunting with?
Im not sure what my enemy is right now, its all bad.lol

Ill be using an bamboo backed osage r-d bow and a recurve I made years ago.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:41 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by burniegoeasily
Im not sure what my enemy is right now, its all bad.lol

Ill be using an bamboo backed osage r-d bow and a recurve I made years ago.
I want to make a BBO. I think what I am going to do this time is make it like I would a selfbow just backed. In other words, no glue on handle, and take a hand planer to flatten the back.

Figured that would be safer than using an osage slat for my first one. That way it just a decrowned stave. Think its a good idea?

I see all these pictures of compression failures on IPE, and am shocked. I didn't know there were so many typse of IPE. some light as milk chocolate, and some (like I got) dark as dark chocolate.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mark.

The dark IPE is crap no good for self bows at all

Ya better send it to me

Kent.

You'll get the shooting right over the week end.

I will have to dust off my bow and fling some arra's as well.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

With the season so close I think you would be much better off sticking to one bow.I like shooting all types of bows but really prefer my longbow to the recurve.YMMV.
Good luck!
Old 08-29-2009, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like you might have an inconsistent anchor.
Try a two point anchor like Rich Welch advises with the rear feather of the arrow touching the tip of your nose and the thumb of your draw hand touching your earlobe at anchor.
The grip, as mentioned by Bigcountry above, can cause problems too.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:32 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Try Masters of the Barebow, Volume III.

I had a grip problem in a big way. I hated it at first, but I've made myself start shooting will all but the first two fingers curled under the riser instead of around it (Olympic/FITA style)--dang near impossible to torque that way.

I like multiple anchor points, but I don't like using the feather--too easy to have descrepancies in the feather or the way it was fletched. I use my forefinger on an upper tooth, midder finger in the corner of my mouth, and thumb under my jawbone.

Chad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.