Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

New Mexico Elk!

Old 08-28-2009, 05:46 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Glad the strings got there--I'm trying hard to be caught up before I leave.

Shot 24 more arrows this evening. Forgot my armguard again, but once again the suit seemed fine without it from standing, sitting, and kneeling positions. Same 'ol same 'ol shooting--rush, rush, rush, shots not that great......settle down and focus, last 6 arrows low in the "10". I did realize one big mistake I've been making, and I'm suprised I was hitting anything. I haven't been anchoring properly with the mask on--afraid the string will catch it I reckon. Fixed that on the last 6 shots, and my group tightened up considerably. Just have to remember that when the moment of truth comes!

Chad
Old 08-31-2009, 04:58 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Shot 6 @ 40+ yds this evening, right at dark. Couldn't see where I was hitting, but I could hear it "thunk" when I hit the target. First 4 were good, got interrupted, didn't focus, one over, one under (I think). Either kills or complete misses--no warm-up shots.

I'm ready!

Chad
Old 09-06-2009, 02:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice one Chad , sounds like a road trip an a half . Go get'em fella i'd love the opertunity to drive across america to go hunting Elk . They are an awesome creature and send shivers down my spine , just at the thought of hearing that bugle in the mountains . I look forward to reading your story and seeing the pictures . Sounds like you'll bag one soon .

Good luck
Old 09-10-2009, 04:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm thinking Chad is having a much better time chasing Elk in NM then I am sitting at work!
Old 09-12-2009, 05:21 AM
Typical Buck

Yea bobco i ahve the same feeling, I am sure he is out there having an awsome time and we are all stuck here wishing we were him. Hope he comes home with a story for us to read!
Old 09-12-2009, 07:36 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It was amazing. The place looked like a feed lot--tracks and turds everywhere. The land owner had pics of her yard full of elk, even drinking from the bird bath. Small trees in the yard had been destroyed by a bull or two with over-active hormones. We scouted, and it looked the same dang near everywhere, especially at the water tank. It looked like it would be way too easy, and over way too quick. There were some clouds, but the lady said "it thunders and lightenings, but we get about 6 drops of rain and it quits.".

The high desert was in a drought, and elk were herding together at her alfalfa fields and water tank, in spite of the rut being way behind schedule. Then, before we really finished setting up camp, it started raining sideways. It rained every stinking day, and sometimes at night. The dead, dry grass greened up immediately, and crap started popping out of the ground. Everything bloomed. You could almost watch stuff growing.

With the newfound water supply and browse, the elk totally changed their habits, or rather went back to what they would normally have been doing before the drought--except going into rut on time. The other guy stayed, hopefully he'll score. I came home because my mom's birthday is tomorrow, and her health is poor--we act like every birthday, holiday, etc. could be the last we have with her, and it well could be. She was sent home to die 14 years ago, but has managed to hang on.

A couple of tips. This was my third big hunting trip (two for elk, one for moose) that cost a lot of time and money and were screwed up by the weather. If I get to go again, I'm going to try to have at least 8-10 days I can dedicate to hunting--not including travel, taking care of meat, etc. When you only have a few days, a little bit of screwed up weather can ruin your chances.

Also, if I travel again, I will rent another mini-van. I had gobs of room (stow-and-go middle seats), even for 3 huge coolers, all sorts of clothes, extra crap, etc. The Grand Caravan rode great and got excellent gas mileage. Unlimited mileage was nice too--put the wear and tear on their tires and motor instead of mine. I oringinally rented a car, then was able to upgrade when I picked it up for much less than the listed price. Around $560 through Alamo, but I had to pick it up at the Memphis, TN airport. About 2 hours from me, and on the way anyhow.

That's the long and short of it. If I could have gone a couple of days sooner, or maybe if I had been able to stay a few days longer I'd have a freezer full of elk--no doubt. Had a good time anyway--hunted my butt off, and learned a lot.

Chad
Old 09-13-2009, 09:18 AM
bigcountry

Glad to see you made it back safe Chad. And had some good memories to boot. Maybe next time.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:54 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Oh yeah--no real regrets here, just some "If I had known this, I would have done that differently" kind of thoughts. I wasn't mislead in any way--there were plenty of signs and pictures to remove any doubt. The place was mostly sand, so tracks didn't look fresh very long--and it was covered in them when we first got there--not to mention all the black "marbles" all over the place.

Dunno when I'll get to go again--hadn't planned on this one--but I do plan to go again. I'll start saving asap (another good thing to do--start a hunt fund right now, even if you can only put $5 a week in it), just in case. Not likely I'll be able to do anything next year, but maybe the following year......who knows.

I was talking to a fellow hunter on the way up--Arky Bob who I went to CO with a couple of years ago. He said when you get to a certain point, it's all about the hunt, and a kill is just icing on the cake. I have to agree--otherwise I'd have taken a weapon that would have made filling my tag a lot easier.

Chad
Old 09-14-2009, 04:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Glad you had a great time!
Old 09-14-2009, 05:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was talking to a fellow hunter on the way up--Arky Bob who I went to CO with a couple of years ago. He said when you get to a certain point, it's all about the hunt, and a kill is just icing on the cake. I have to agree--otherwise I'd have taken a weapon that would have made filling my tag a lot easier.
Your friend said a mouthful there, lots of truth to that Chad!!! I've elk hunted 6 different times and I'm still "elkless" but to say I didn't enjoy myself because I wasn't successful would be so against how I roll as a bow hunter. No matter the animal I'm hunting, the hunting trip and comroddary are what It's all about. Getting the animal I'm after Is always a bonus but by no means has to happen.

Another thing too, a guy can never control the whether, been burned there a few times as well. Thats hunting for ya I guess. Better luck next time Chad, I like your Insight on hunting!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.