Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

wood arrow selection

Old 05-05-2003, 09:18 PM

Default wood arrow selection

i am currently looking into switching to wood arrows. this may or may not be a good idea due to the year round high humidity we have here. is there a company that supplies single wood shafts for spine selection? no-one here even sells wood arrows, so simply stopping by the archery shop is not an option. also any ideas on wood arrows with the high humidity? thanks
Old 05-05-2003, 09:32 PM

Default RE: wood arrow selection

dbl lock
I' m a relative newbie to this game. I use woodies, mainly chundoo and laminated pine. Hopefully LBR will stop by soon. He provided me with really useful info. He' ll need a bit of additional info before making recommendations; bow type, draw length, arrow length, draw weight, string type (FF vs Dacron), point weight.
Mark
Old 05-06-2003, 08:00 AM

Paul Jalon of Elite Arrows sells a test kit of arrows for a nominal price.
www.fairchase.com/elitearrows/
Old 05-06-2003, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

My method of choosing a wood arrow is simple. I pick out several of the longer ones from the lost arrow bucket at the club' s range, find out which one shoots good for me, take it home and put it on my homemade spine tester. I usually have to add 5 pounds or so because most of the arrows in the bucket are an inch too short for me.

By the way, I do put the borrowed arrow back in the bucket the next day.

Old 05-07-2003, 08:27 AM

I' m testing cedar arrows right now. I got a test pack from Rogue River Archery in spines form 60-83# after calling and chatting about my bow, and current set-up. They seem to be great people, and I have heard nothing but priase about them. I have yet to order shafts or arrows from them though.

http://www.rogueriverarchery.com/

You may also want to talk to Troy Breeding: (closer to your home )
http://home.hiwaay.net/~arrowman/

Old 05-07-2003, 09:21 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-07-2003, 02:19 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I' m in MS, so I can sure relate to the humidity [X(]. I' ve shot wood arrows for several years with no problems--just be sure to seal them. Rogue River has a test kit, and you might get one from Joe Stark at Lone Wolf (not sure, but wouldn' t hurt to ask). Many dealers do have test kits for a reasonable price, and by talking with them you should be able to get close to what you need.

Chad
Old 05-08-2003, 09:37 PM

i am actually preparing to purchase wood arrows, but waiting on my bow (on order). really getting the facts straight, so when the bow does arrive, i don' t waste time and get to shooting soon after.

bow is a chek-mate hunter II 58" 50# @28

not to much time left------------------ right chad

thanks for the info
Old 05-19-2003, 10:26 PM

True Position. What did you decide? Is the test kit of arrows cut to your length of full cut. Just wondering about the point weight and how the whole process works.
Like to hear all about it.[8D]
Old 05-20-2003, 01:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Woodduck,

You can Catch Paula online in the mornings....check out Timberspirit bows web page, hit he chat room. Look for shafts.

You can access it via Bowmakr' s site also. Type in bowmakr in a google search, he should be your first hit.

Quick Reply: wood arrow selection

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.