Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Information Sources

Old 06-24-2009, 07:09 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default Information Sources

Just curious--what do you recommend for someone starting out, who doesn't have anyone to show them the ropes and can't afford a coach?

To date, my favorite is "Masters of the Barebow, Volume III". You need a basic understanding of archery terms to follow it, but IMO it's the best information source on the market, shy of a personal coach.

Chad
Old 06-25-2009, 05:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Information Sources

For a very beginner check out here: Skills and drills. I think it's like $5 or something. You may think it is for compound, but it isn't. They use Genesis bows that have no rollover or draw length for beginners.

Here

Old 06-25-2009, 11:17 AM
bigcountry

Man, I am going to have to watch these DVD's. I hear you guys praise them a lot. I never watched any besides Dean Torges stuff. I like "become the arrow" and Brian sorrells "beginners guide to trad archery". Both were helpful in thier own ways. I say stay away from anything asbell. His technique about hurt me as a beginner.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:03 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I need to get that "Skills and Drills". Looks like a good one.

Although he seems like a nice enough guy in person, I advise against G. Fred's books and videos--heard too many stories like yours BC, and similar stories from folks who know how to shoot but wanted to try something different. I've only known one person that I'd consider to be truly "instinctive", and when he had a good day he was hard to hang with, but he was definately the exception.

There's a fairly new book on the market that, IMO, is a joke (what else can it be when your "credentials" are appearing on a soap opera and playing Robin Hood at a rennesance fair?). Still, there are people that praise it as if it's the best thing since sliced bread[:'(].

I rather stick with information from people who have proven they know their stuff in public competition, rather than someone who hides from the public.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:22 PM

If no mentor/coach is available? I have always learned next best with a book and then applying it. Video's generally deliver little to me as far as a learning tool......
Old 06-28-2009, 06:09 AM

One last comment ..... credentials do not necessarily make a good mentor or even a good source to seek help from. Look at all the elite archers coaches over the years or our own Olympic coaches. Few of them ever placed high in National or World events but they are highly sought after by the elite archers as coaches because of their ability to make elite archers win.

Some archers with world titles do make good coaches BUT it is NOT any where near a given that a world champion makes a world class coach/mentor. An elite archer is a special athlete and has the knowledge, motivation, time, money, physical ability, and dedication to excel at this sport. A world class archery coach has proven he has the knowledge and ability to take an elite archer and push them to the top of the sport.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jim, from what I gather, the people that you are referring to have superior credentials.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:44 AM

Bob, Your right! But many never had any earth shaking results as archers themselves.

Guess my point was to caution not to disregard an informational source because it is from someone who has never been heard of before either. Opportunities vary with people due to their personal lives. One of the best traditional longbow shooters I have ever met and was an incredible source of information was a poor ole farmer in PA who never entered a competition in his life and only shot a his archery clubs fun shoots. I never saw him carry a score card. It just wasn't something he cared to do eventhough many of us suggested he compete. To look at him and his homemade longbow and arrows you would of never known he was a huge source of excellent archery information from building equipment to shooting techniques. By the way he never shot below 80lbs and the last day I saw him before he died he was shooting a 100lb longbow at 76 years of age in bib overalls and a sweatshirt. He really knew archery, was an exceptional shot, and could help others in a way that it was effortless and completely understandable. But, few knew about him outside his local club and if he work of written a book or done a DVD he too would of been without credentials.

My take on this is one never knows where solid archery advice and information will come from. You need to read or whatever as much as you can. Then apply it to see if it works for your shooting. Credentials are great but may not make a difference in getting an archer to the next level.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:31 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I don't think for a minute you have to be a champion archer to be able to give good advice.

However, it says a lot to me when a self-appointed "guru" makes it a point to argue and disagree with people who have proven they are excellent archers, and excellent coaches as well.

Guys like Rick Welch, Rod Jenkins, Rick McKinney.......when someone who's never done anything in the sport, and never coached anyone who's done anything, starts saying these guys don't know what they are talking about, well.....doesn't take me long to figure them out.

Also, when that same person says that bowyers who offer tillering options (for free) are either con men, don't know what they are doing, or both; and implies that all custom bowyers work from a garage or basement and are likely to "fold" at any time........it not only tells me they don't have a clue, but it also gets my dander up. I know a lot of custom bowyers, and they are dang good people making an honest living. Some nobody with an ego problem comes along and slanders them just to try and put themselves on a pedestal.......it really bugs me.

Not to mention the slandering of 3D tournaments and archers (those of us who participate in this "dumbed down" sport as he calls it raised a lot of money for sick kids this past weekend), arguing with hunters (when he's admitted he hasn't hunted since the 70's, and never would reply when asked if he ever killed anything).......

Other absolutely stupid remarks like "you gain 10# of performance for every inch you draw past 28" don't help either. That would mean it would be safe to hunt water buffalo with a 40@28 bow draw to 32". You would only be pulling about 50#--I don't see anyone in their right mind hunting one of these monsters with a 50@32 bow (if what he said were trueit would perform like 80@28). I WANT one of those bows--I can draw 32" with a high wrist grip, no problem--pulling 50# but getting 80# performance would be sweet for hunting and tournaments. The bad thing is: what happens to someone with a 24" draw--will a 40@28 drawn to 24"shoot for them at all, or will the arrow just fall to the ground at their feet?

Obviously I have someone in mind when I type this, but I won't call any names and ask that nobody else does either. Just getting a gripe off my chest.

Jim, I agree that you never know where good advice might come from. However, I'd say that 99.9999% of the time when you have a proven champion archer and/or coach saying one thing, and "joe nobody" saying just the opposite, the proven archer/coach is going to be the one giving the accurate advice.

Chad
Old 06-29-2009, 09:39 AM

Hi Chad, my ole friend, how ya been?

Quick Reply: Information Sources

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.