Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

New arrow set up

Old 04-21-2009, 05:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default New arrow set up

Yesterday afternoon I went to the local archery shop to check out some FMJ's In hopes of buying a dozen for my recurve (61lbs at 27.5). 1st of all I don't know a damn thing about carbons or FMJ's so this Is all new to me, I've been an aluminum shooter all my life (24 years worth of bowhunting with aluminum's). We bare shafted a 340 FMJ shaft that was recommended by Mr. Russ on here with a 100 grain brass Insert along with a 250 grain field point. We started out with full length arrows and 1st had to adjust my knocking point a touch lower. After that we did a few small cuts on the shaft and we ended up going with a 31 1/4 Inch arrow. The arrow flight was damn near perfect, I couldn't believe an arrow could do that with out any fletchings!! This was also my 1st try at bare shafting, never done It before. We even shot It through some paper to check the tear out, that was awesome as well!! The guy told me the tear was cleaner then most compounders get. Total arrow weight Is going to be about 750 grains. Man do they thump hard when they hit and the speed wasn't to bad either. I know It wasn't any slower then my 2216's are coming out of my recurve, heck they might even be a tad faster. I hope my Snuffers fly just as good when I get my arrows back after he gets them all fletched up. It shall be Interesting to see what my EFOC comes out to, It's going to be good I believe!! They'll be 4" 4 fletched white. I'll post some pictures when he gets them done.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:48 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: New arrow set up

I love bare shaft. But I figured out, you can't do it, unless your bow arm is dead stiff and perfect consistent release. I will only do it for the first 10 arrows or so.

Thats a bunch of front end wieght you got there. Reason I guess you had to lower your nock. Sounds like a deadly combo.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I love bare shaft. But I figured out, you can't do it, unless your bow arm is dead stiff and perfect consistent release. I will only do it for the first 10 arrows or so.
I was pretty nervous about the bare shafting. I did my best on form and release and It turned out pretty good. I must of shot around 20 arrows or so and out of them 20 I had 3 of which that were terrible releases and my bow arm jumping on me. When I held and did everything right, It was a thing of beauty. It's been a while sense I've had this kind of arrow flight. My other arrows flew pretty good for the most part but not as true as these have so far for me.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:20 AM
bigcountry

A lot of people likes 30% FOC. But I don't like 25-30 yard performance. I have a combo for my savannah longbow with 300gr up front a light gold tip carbon that is great up to 20 yards, but drops like a hammer at 30. So i went back to aluminums. I did the same with my zipper.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:43 AM
Banned

carbons have a quality about them don't they?

I've heard river cane is a lot like carbon if you know how to work it .........
Old 04-30-2009, 08:53 PM

I wish we had a decent trad shop around here to get trad help from all we have is wheel bow shooters and very few if any stick and stringers.[:@]
Old 05-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: david_lewis93

I wish we had a decent trad shop around here to get trad help from all we have is wheel bow shooters and very few if any stick and stringers.[:@]
There aren't any traditional shops around here either. I bought my arrows from a shop that deals with compounds, they aren't one bit educated In traditional bows. I picked up a good bit of Info from a guy on here that frequents the traditional forums, he's been a great help for me with trying out these new arrows that I've never knew much about. Most of the stuff I buy these days In online, I have no choice.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok guys here is the deal.....Ive been shooting 50/55 port ceder arrows with my 2 recurves both at 50lb but I have the hankren to try Alum.....Is the 2216 my best bet...
Old 05-08-2009, 08:19 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

Ok guys here is the deal.....Ive been shooting 50/55 port ceder arrows with my 2 recurves both at 50lb but I have the hankren to try Alum.....Is the 2216 my best bet...
No, I shoot a 2216 out of my 60lb zipper recurve with a 200gr point and flys great. A 2216 is like a 85lb POC with 125gr point. If 50/55 are shooting like darts for you, you better drop down to 1916's or maybe 2016's. 2016's are your best bet for 50lb bow shot at 28".

I know out of my 50lb fiberglass backed longbows, 50/55's do not shoot well. Way too weak. I have to shoot 65lb POC. Which is about the same as a 2018. I have a 29" draw.

Out of my osage selfbows, that are around 55lb draw at 29", I shoot a 50/55lb POC.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

2216's are a big arrow for that 50lb recurve to blast through an animal. If they fly good I'd try down sizing In diameter and go with a 2117 (smaller arrow).

Quick Reply: New arrow set up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.