Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Ok now arrows?

Old 03-04-2009, 06:35 AM

Default Ok now arrows?

Well now that I have a recurve I need some ammo. If I have a 29" draw and the bow says 45# what would my actual draw weight be.

Then what arrows do I need to look in to? Would like to be able to shoot carbons if I can.

Then fletch w/feathers I guess, I mean is that my best option? (i think I know the answer I will get w/ that one.

Is it best to shoot right off of the shelf and if so what is the best type of material to put on the shelf?

What vane configuration shoots off of the shelf the best?

Oh yea and any tips on release form, I am sorry for all of the questions but I am just really pumped to get this thing going.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ok now arrows?

Well now that I have a recurve I need some ammo. If I have a 29" draw and the bow says 45# what would my actual draw weight be.

About 47-48

Then what arrows do I need to look in to? Would like to be able to shoot carbons if I can.

Someone else can help with the carbons. Aluminum would be around 1916 or 50/55 wood, maybe 55/60.

Then fletch w/feathers I guess, I mean is that my best option? (i think I know the answer I will get w/ that one.

Yes, use feathers.

Is it best to shoot right off of the shelf and if so what is the best type of material to put on the shelf?

Best as far as arrow flight? Or best as far as traditional goes. I shoot off the shelf on therecurves that I get good arrow flight with. If I can not get good arrow flight off the shelf, I use a bear rubber flipper rest. If you don't care about what is traditional and what isn't and want the best arrow flight, then use a rest.

What vane configuration shoots off of the shelf the best?

No vanes off the shelf, only use feathers.

Oh yea and any tips on release form, I am sorry for all of the questions but I am just really pumped to get this thing going.

Best tip I can give you is to not think of releasing the string at all. Pull through the string and come to a conclusion after the shot, that is the ultimate ending point.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:56 AM

Man I really appreciate it,

I forgot to ask one other thing. This bow did not have an old string w/ it. It is 62" long Bear Grizzlyand that is all I know can you point me in the direction of a string lenght.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Chad (LBR) is the expert and will take care of you on that.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:00 AM

Alright, like I said I really do appreciate it.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

For carbons, I'd recommend any that have good heft and are mid-spine. They usually like a lot of weight up front.

I've been shooting the carbon express 45/60 terminators from walmart. I believe they are 11 grains per inch. Strip the vanes of and re-fletch with feathers, 250ish grains up front from either 250 grain field tips in a standard aluminum insert, 100 grain steel glue on adapter and 150 grain broadheads (wensel woodsmans) in a standard aluminum adapter or 160 grain broadheads in a 100 grain brass adapter.

Fly like darts from 45-50# draw weight for me (2 bows).
Old 03-04-2009, 11:07 AM

thanks rangeball, where do I go about getting the adapters and do you just use a regular insert glue for them??
Old 03-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Zach, if you buy them at walmart (or other stores) they come with standard aluminum inserts installed. I'd start out that way, if you can get them fletched with feathers, and try different weight field tips until you find one that shoots the best. I believe 3 rivers and kustom king sell different weight field tip kits for tuning.

Once you know what the bow likes, you can make decisions on how best to replicate it with the broadheads you want to shoot down the road.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:59 PM

Awesome thanks.