Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

traditional archery

Old 02-04-2009, 05:56 AM

Default traditional archery

Does a heavier weight fixed balde broadhead help with accuracy,and will a three blade plane more than a two blade?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: traditional archery

ORIGINAL: tjjon

Does a heavier weight fixed balde broadhead help with accuracy,and will a three blade plane more than a two blade?
Tough question. I would say that you have to shoot the proper weight broadhead that shoots straight with your setup. Having perfect arrow flight is what you are looking for whether you are using a 125 grain or 300 grain.

On the second part, again, it depends. I would think that a vented head will plane more then a solid head, doesn't matter if it is two or three blades. IN either case, once again, the arrow needs to fly straight. But a non-vented head will be quieter.

Personally, I'll take the non-vented two blade head with a single bevel.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you use helical fletching, there won't be any planing with any broadhead. I use Magnus heads, 11/4 in. widewith the bleeder blades. I can detect no difference in flightcompared tomy target tips.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Does a heavier weight fixed blade broadhead help with accuracy
It sure don't hurt anything. I guess I'd rather have a tad more weight on the end of my arrow then not enough. Like Bob said though, you need the right arrow setup as well.

will a three blade plane more than a two blade?
I believe some 3 blades do for people. You seem to hear It more with a 3 blade then you do with a 2 blade. I know with my setup that If I'm practicing farther then 35 yards my arrows will plain once In a while on me. I shoot a 3 blade Snuffer.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would think that a vented head will plane more then a solid head, doesn't matter if it is two or three blades.
I wrote that wrong, should be:

I would think that a non-vented head will plane more then avented head, doesn't matter if it is two or three blades.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:19 AM
Banned

Here are my thoughts .....

I wasn't a heavy FOC believer until this year and now? I have 100 gr brass inserts and 160 gr broadheads for a total of 160 gr up front. I shoot carbons - and the ball and string theory seems to work (that is, throw a ball with a string tied to it, and the string will follow the heavier ball)

As for planing, thats broadhead design IMO. With the speeds of recurves/longbows, if your arrows are tuned, I doubt planing will be much of an issue ever
Old 02-05-2009, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

I would think that a vented head will plane more then a solid head, doesn't matter if it is two or three blades.
I wrote that wrong, should be:

I would think that a non-vented head will plane more then avented head, doesn't matter if it is two or three blades.
Lol!! I knew what you meant Bob. I feel the same way as you.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: stealthycat II

Here are my thoughts .....

I wasn't a heavy FOC believer until this year and now? I have 100 gr brass inserts and 160 gr broadheads for a total of 160 gr up front. I shoot carbons - and the ball and string theory seems to work (that is, throw a ball with a string tied to it, and the string will follow the heavier ball)

As for planing, thats broadhead design IMO. With the speeds of recurves/longbows, if your arrows are tuned, I doubt planing will be much of an issue ever
Wouldn't that be 260gr. up front??