Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

fingerposition

Old 01-25-2009, 02:30 AM
Typical Buck

Default fingerposition

Hi, I'm a straight up compound shooter but I have a buddy of mine who has bought himself a longbow. I noticed he's shooting three fingers under the nock of his arrow.
Is shooting with one fingers above and two under the nock better or worse ?

F.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: fingerposition

Some guys prefer 3 fingers under as it puts the arrow that much closer to their eye. It's like aiming down a shotgun barrel. I prefer the the split finger hold myself. I don't have any problem aiming that way. One is not better than the other, it's just preference. I think, though, for best results a bowneeds tobe tillered for 3 under if you're going to do it that way.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I started hunting with my recurve 13 years back I hardly ever even noticed my arrow when drawing my bow back with three fingers under and still don't notice It a whole lot. I think If your wanting to look down your arrow then this will be an easier way of shooting for ya. The only reason I shoot 3 under Is It feels more comfortable and my releases are much smoother then split finger.

My recurve Isn't tillered for 3 under and It shoots fine for me. Like Wingbone said It's more of a preference thing then anything.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:45 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It is personal preferance--whatever works best for you.

The only difference I know of in the tiller is some bows are noisier if shot 3-under and tillered for split, and vice-versa.

Chad
Old 01-26-2009, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

I could be wrong, but I believe the traditional two under one over was the result of early style (non-plastic) nocks that did not grip the string. The split finger grip let them keep tension on the arrow, keeping it tight to the string. Now that nocks grip the string many archers have gone to three under. I was told it puts less tension and torgue on the arrow during draw, and therefore results in fewer number of arrows dropping of rests. It also supposedly helps promote a smoother more consistent release since the fingers are touching each other.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

After shooting split for years I'm giving 3 under a try this year. I ended up changinganchorto a different position (lower)which is basically the reason for the change. The arrow ends up in about the same position as the anchor I previously used.

I think it is really a matter of preference.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot using split finger method
Old 11-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Spike

I started out shooting split but switched to 3 under because it was more comfortable, also added a second nock to help prevent pinching the arrow. Have to agree with most it's personal preference. My Bear Cheyenne shoots the same either way

good luck
Old 11-17-2009, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot split it just feels more natural to me.
Plus when I test shoot customers bows they usually dont have a nock fitted to the string.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:14 PM
bigcountry

If I could do it all over, I would shoot split. Its always quieter. Easier to tiller a bow. Your putting even pressure behind an arrow. Most bows sold are split tillered. Most do the 3under thing because of arrow pinch and have a bow too short for thier draw.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.