Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Is this tip OK to shoot? >

Is this tip OK to shoot?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Is this tip OK to shoot?

Old 01-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

Default Is this tip OK to shoot?

I love the bow, and I can not see why this isn't OK to shoot but thought I would ask.

The Bow is a Fred Bear Alaskan.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is this tip OK to shoot?

Tough call. Them grooves are there for a reason so the string doesn't fly on out. Interesting to see what others have to say.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Banned

I wouldn't shoot it
Old 01-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

Any particular reason?
The tip has lost no strength in my opinion, but there may be more to that than I understand.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't believe its about the strength of the tip but its ability to keep the string on. I could be wrong....
Old 01-01-2009, 11:26 AM
bigcountry

Those tips have no bearing on the string. But the grooves and what is below does.

On one hand, if this is just a crack off the tip, no big deal. but if the bow is so old that the tip is falling apart, then it could be indicitive of the rest of the bow.

I have had bow blow up on me, and probably will again building selfbows, so I would shoot it. Just inspect the rest of the bow real well.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

The bow is in pretty good shape, the tip has been chipped it isn't a matter of deterioration.
Thanks for the advice guys! I just may patch it up for cosmetic reasons if it is OK to shoot.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:33 AM
Banned

Pydpiper I've seen pictures of what bows blowing up in the faces of the archers can do. Your bow is damaged, and anytime equipment is damaged it needs replaced/fixed IMO.

I won't shoot a bow with a crack in the riser, a slight delam on a limb or a 1/2 broken off tip. JMO
Old 01-02-2009, 07:48 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: stealthycat II

Pydpiper I've seen pictures of what bows blowing up in the faces of the archers can do. Your bow is damaged, and anytime equipment is damaged it needs replaced/fixed IMO.

I won't shoot a bow with a crack in the riser, a slight delam on a limb or a 1/2 broken off tip. JMO
Tips take alot of abuse however doens't have any bearing on the bow itself does it?

Old 01-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Banned

Tips take alot of abuse however doens't have any bearing on the bow itself does it?
the arrow doesn't affect the bow itsself ...... I'm not shooting a scracked carbon are you?

the tip is designed to be complete, not 1/2 chipped off ...... again, I don't like shooting flawed equipment, too many things can happen

Quick Reply: Is this tip OK to shoot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.