Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Last day success

Old 12-31-2008, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Last day success

It took till the very last hour of the deer season In Minnesota but I did finally get er done! The last 10 days or so I quit buck hunting and the door was open on the doe's. Mature buck hunting for me this year was horrible, I either suck or they just weren't around this year during the rut. So I started hunting for doe's and that turned Into one hell of a challenge as well!! We've gotten about 9" of snow the last 2 weeks and the majority of the deer left the woods In search of food. Our section of the area has a ton of food plots, next year I'll have some as well and I think this will also help out my buck hunting. Yesterday evening I did some tracking (Magicman Hunting) and 3 different times I got with In 30 yards but just couldn't close the door and get another 10 yards closer. This evening I went to the opposite end of the woods that I haven't hardly hunted all year. It worked out pretty well as you can tell by the smile on my face. At 4:30 a doe and 2 fawns came from the west of me, one was a BB and the other was a doe fawn. The BB would get the pass but the other 2 were going to get some aluminum If a shot was presented. I noticed a limp In the doe when she walked and I thought dammit, that's the doe that my brother doesn't want me to shoot (my brother lives across the field from the big woods I hunt and he puts corn out for the pheasants and deer In the winter months and this same doe has come to the feeders In front of the house for the last 5 years and he recently said he wouldn't shoot her and I also said I wouldn't as well respecting his wishes, this doe Is missing her left front hoof). So now I got the doe (limpy) at 15 yards and the other younger doe Is right beside It so I've got to wait for limpy to move forward enough. She finally does and that's when I drew back my recurve. I had to bend at the knees some to shoot through a softball size opening In some brush. I hit my anchor point and released!! I hit an Inch or 2 farther back then I wanted to but It still clipped both lungs. Arrow passed on through with ease and the deer ran 50 yards and piled up. Just like that my season was over. What a long one It was. This Is most likely my last year shooting my recurve. She's not In the best of shape but It came through one more time for me. 14 years we shot animals together, I'm glad we ended on a good note.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Last day success

Congrats bro, looks like a decent size doe fawn! Great pics as well!
Old 12-31-2008, 11:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

She's not to bad Joe. She dressed out at 75lbs. The BB that was with her I bet would dress out over 100 to 110lbs. He was huge!!

Thanks Joe!!
Old 01-01-2009, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations! Any deer taken the last couple of days of the late season is a trophy in my book. It's all about the effort.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats Steve, your right the smile says it all and what a great way to retire the curve
Old 01-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice way to end the season. Congratulations! It also sounds like you will be hunting with a different bow next year?
Old 01-01-2009, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

It also sounds like you will be hunting with a different bow next year?
Good chance of it. With all the trouble I've had with my recurve this year I'm thinking so. Loosing 12lbs of draw weight In one year isn't good, my top limb Is still loosing slivers. 2 days ago a sliver about 10" long and a 1/16th of an Inch wide came peeling off. I plan on trying to fix the top limb and see what happens. If it works It works, If not no biggy either I guess, at least I tried. Either way I'll take the whole thing apart being It's a take down and sand her nice and smooth and give It another camo job and see what happens the rest of the winter. Regardless of the out come I'm buying 2 more recurve's this winter. One will be a hunting bow In that 65lb to 70lb range and the other will be a light draw weight recurve (40lb range) for touching up my form as It needs some tinkering.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Steve. Nice shot with your recurve. Pretty bad for me this year too with big buck encounters. I think I saw only 3 shooters while in stand and none came close enough but I did shoot 2 nice does!

Congrats again!
Old 01-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Noah, Bobco, Kanga, Wingbone, BHF and everyone else!! Much appreciated!!
Old 01-05-2009, 08:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Excellent. I was getting a little worried about you.

Quick Reply: Last day success

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.