Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Specifying different draw lengths/weights? >

Specifying different draw lengths/weights?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Specifying different draw lengths/weights?

Old 11-13-2008, 02:37 PM

Default Specifying different draw lengths/weights?

Ordering a bow considerations.

When you are "ordering a new bow" everyone seems to use the 28" method of determining the weight one wants the bow to have.
What if anything is gained by giving a "specific draw length" to the bower that is building ones bow to make it's "wanted" draw poundage at ones specific draw length? I hope I made this clear.

Thanks, Changeling
Old 11-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Specifying different draw lengths/weights?

The benefit is you get a bow that is the poundage you want at what you actually draw it.

Of course you can also order the bow at x pounds at 28", allowing for 2-3 pounds (typical, ask the bowyer about their bow) per inch over/under what you actually draw. For example, you draw 26" and want a bow that draws 50# there you could order a 54# at 28" bow (assuming the bowyer says 2# per inch) and get what you want.

Two ways to skin a cat, but it still ends up naked

While you're at it, if you're ordering, ask the bowyer how they specify and measure draw length and match his method, as there is variance.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

What if anything is gained by giving a "specific draw length" to the bower that is building ones bow to make it's "wanted" draw poundage at ones specific draw length? I hope I made this clear.
The limbs will be designed so that draw curve will be more specific to your draw length. The handle should also match your hand size and preferences. Bow woods/glass/carbon would also be chosen by yourself.

How much effect it actually has depends on a few things including how good the bowyer is and how sensitive you are as a shooter. I probably would not notice too much difference whereas Rod Jenkins may feel a huge difference.

If this is your first bow, I would not suggest going with a custom.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:42 AM
Dominant Buck

When I make a bow, I have a particular weight and draw im shooting for. If I build a bow for a person drawing 27", ill tiller it to 27" and the weight they want. As mentioned, you will gain or lose about 2-4lbs of draw beyond or under marked weight. I would also caution drawing beyond marked draw lenght. Drawing less is no big deal, but drawing over the bowyers marked lenght can cause damage. Especially with all organic bows. Glass bows and lam bows can handle longer draws to some extent, but id still suggest not drawing beyond.

If you are having a bow made for you, go with your draw length, that way the bowyer will make you just what you want. As for your question as to why 28" is almost the standard on manufactured bows? It has to do with the fact that a majority of shooters draw 28" or less. 28" is simply a way to mass produce to the majority. That would be the only advantage to making bows at a set draw length.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:57 AM

Thanks guys, great explanations.

Changeling