Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Compound and Traditional Archery >

Compound and Traditional Archery

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Compound and Traditional Archery

Old 01-03-2002, 05:40 AM
Spike

Default Compound and Traditional Archery

Hey fellows, I have bowhunted with a compound for several years. I am interested in shooting a recurve or longbow. However, I still want to shoot my compound as well. Will shooting two differenty types of bows affect my shooting. If I buy a recurve or longbow, what do you recommend? I know what to look for in a compound, but I am very ignorant when it comes to traditional archery. I do know that I still want some form of a sight on my bow. Any and all information would be welcome...
Old 01-03-2002, 06:45 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-03-2002, 08:40 AM

Default RE: Compound and Traditional Archery

I shoot both compound and traditional, compound with all the bells and whistles, recurve bare. I do'nt have any trouble going back and forth between them, I actually believe they compliment each other and that I improved with both. I also agree that you should at least try a curve without sights. Good luck and enjoy.
Darrel
Old 01-03-2002, 08:49 AM

start cheap, light, and used. this will save time and money until you develop your form and tastes. if you want a sight on a rec do it it is your decision, try to find a used one that has already been drilled for a sight if you find one without holes it is usually worth more and you may want to hold on to it as is. BUT I do believe that once you shoot barebow and find out how SIMPLE, FUN, and CHALLENGING it is you will forget about the sights and possibly the compound also. when i first started back i shot both but the trad bug took hold quickly and within a year all compound technology was sold.
Old 01-03-2002, 08:51 AM

Dang You guys who can shoot different bows and not have it affect your shooting are preety lucky. I cant switch from my longbow to recurve without being messed up.

Dianna
Old 01-03-2002, 09:05 AM
Spike

If you do not use sights, what is your reference point of aim? Do you just look down the arrow shaft and aim? If so arn't you holding like a foot under the target? Forgive the ignorance here, but I'm new to this concept of shooting.
Old 01-03-2002, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

You can use point on or gap method to aim. Very accurate ways to shoot. Some of us just let the brain calculate it for us and shoot. Some call it instictive, but the brain needs reference points so maybe it's really a split vision. All I know is that I look at where I want the arrow to go and it goes there. I don't really think about it at all. Which ever way you decide to go, with sights or consciously aiming with the arrow or just letting em rip, you're going to enjoy yourself. It's fun and when you reach a point, through lots of practice, that you can confortably hit what you're aiming at, it's a very effective way to kill food.
Old 01-03-2002, 09:41 AM

I do'nt consciously reference anything, think of it as throwing a baseball, does it have any sights? Seriously, once you learn to shoot without sights, it is so liberating. Range estimation becomes second nature, no need to worry about pins, etc. Just start out close enough to stay on your target, then work your way further back, just do'nt rush it.
Darrel
Old 01-03-2002, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

DOE KILLER - I have a thought on that.

I am cross dominant - shooting right handed and left eye dominant. It is IMPOSSIBLE for me to use the arrow as an aiming device. For me, its instinctive - I let my mind do the coordinating. For those who are not cross dominant, I can see how even subconsciously you could use the arrow as a reference - and I am thinking it makes for better shooting in general too. All I know is shooting my longbow is the toughest thing to master I have ever tried.
Old 01-03-2002, 10:29 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

There's no reason why you can't shoot both. I know a guy tht shows up at 3D shoots with his compound and a longbow.

He'll take his first shot from the compound stakes, walk up, and take his second with the longbow.

JRW

Quick Reply: Compound and Traditional Archery

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.