Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Broadhead and Deer

Old 09-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Broadhead and Deer

Well,
I had my chance at a nice 4 pointer Friday, but my arrow a CE150 fitted with a 145 grain Snuffer, didn't get through the edge of the shoulder, I was off by approx an 1". Sure wish I had a two bladed head at that split second, anyhow, next years season.

Here is he question though for you Whitetail experts, I am a Mule deer and Blacktail hunter, so I don't know much at all about whitetail behavior other than some reading.

Do you see deer every time on the stand? or do you go a day or two or longer before seing any? I mean seing, not shot oportunity. This could be a deer standing 20 yards beyond your range or one just walking by. Thanks
Old 09-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Broadhead and Deer

Do you see deer every time on the stand?
No.

or do you go a day or two or longer before seing any?
Spent 2 days in a ground blind over the week end and the only deer I saw was the 2 doe's we jumped walking out
Old 09-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had my chance at a nice 4 pointer Friday, but my arrow a CE150 fitted with a 145 grain Snuffer, didn't get through the edge of the shoulder, I was off by approx an 1"
A few question's for ya.

Did you hit the knuckle or shoulder blade? How much penetration? How many pounds you pulling? Arrow eight?

Nope. I think most people will agree as well that your not going to see deer every time your out hunting.

I've went a week without seeing deer. That's hunting and that's how it goes sometimes.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's funny, one never knows what there miss is gonna be. On Tradgang a guy swore he nailed an elk in the heart with a two blade, but didn't recover the animal. Speculation was that he must have been a bit low of the heart and the blades were horizontal instead of vertical, and of course the 3-4 blade guys jumped right in with the you shoulda hads... Of course if he'd have had a multi-blade head and clipped bone, the other half woulda had their chance to have their say

I plan to carry both in my quiver

I'm fortunate to hunt in whitetail nirvana. We have 60 deer per square mile. It's been years since I've had a hunt without seeing deer, but I know that's not the norm.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:46 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

I'm fortunate to hunt in whitetail nirvana. We have 60 deer per square mile. It's been years since I've had a hunt without seeing deer, but I know that's not the norm.
You lucky dog. I can go several hunts and not see a deer.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

You lucky dog. I can go several hunts and not see a deer.
Very very luck indeed. Leasing and land prices are going nuts around here, and I don't have the funds to play that game. Fortunately my brother-in-law has a 160 acre deer refuge that I have free reign on, plus an adjoining 100 acres of a client of mine (part of his 800 acres that he never hunts and we take care of his set aside for in return for the access).

I count my lucky stars every day

Old 09-30-2008, 03:47 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Cessna Flyer

Well,
I had my chance at a nice 4 pointer Friday, but my arrow a CE150 fitted with a 145 grain Snuffer, didn't get through the edge of the shoulder, I was off by approx an 1". Sure wish I had a two bladed head at that split second, anyhow, next years season.

Here is he question though for you Whitetail experts, I am a Mule deer and Blacktail hunter, so I don't know much at all about whitetail behavior other than some reading.

Do you see deer every time on the stand? or do you go a day or two or longer before seing any? I mean seing, not shot oportunity. This could be a deer standing 20 yards beyond your range or one just walking by. Thanks
I do hunt in places where I can almost guarantee seeing does at least every time. MD has a nice population.

Surprised you didn't get thru the edge. If I am thinking right, you mean the cartledge.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I had my chance at a nice 4 pointer Friday, but my arrow a CE150 fitted with a 145 grain Snuffer, didn't get through the edge of the shoulder, I was off by approx an 1"
A few question's for ya.

Did you hit the knuckle or shoulder blade? How much penetration? How many pounds you pulling? Arrow eight?

Nope. I think most people will agree as well that your not going to see deer every time your out hunting.

I've went a week without seeing deer. That's hunting and that's how it goes sometimes.
It was the shoulder blade.
My arrows weigh 550 grains and I pull 54 pounds with this bow. the deer broke the broadhead out of the insert, the penetration was what I figured a hair over 2/3 of the head made it in.

We tracked the deer for quite aways till sighn and blood drops gave up, and no sign.

Thanks all for all the answers on the other, now I disregard most of what I read.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cessna Flyer

last year during firearm season i saw a bunch opening day and nothing the rest of the season...go figure. (public land mind you)
Old 10-02-2008, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

the deer broke the broadhead out of the insert, the penetration was what I figured a hair over 2/3 of the head made it in.
THis could have been your whole problem. Ashby finds that complete arrow integrity to be number one or two biggest problems with penetration. You may want to look at steel inserts.

As far as deer. I pretty much expect to see at least something when I hunt. THe majorities of times I do. As far as shoots, it depends, but pretty much every year presents itself something.

Quick Reply: Broadhead and Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.