Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Major challenge

Old 09-26-2008, 11:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Major challenge

I had a man come visit me wanting to order a custom built bow. He is around 7’ tall with a 36” draw. He wants a bow around 75” ntn at 60lbs. I told him let me play with some designs and see what I can come up with. 36.5”, that is just crazy. If I pull this off, it will be the longest draw length ive ever attempted. First thing ill have to do is build a longer tiller tree.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Major challenge

He is around 7’ tall with a 36” draw
Holy **** that's a long draw!!!! Wow!! Good luck with this one Kent!!
Old 09-26-2008, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just pray he doesn't ask you for arrows to go with it.[8D]

I'd bet you'll need to lengthen the riser about 3", to get decent limb action. Trying to add all that length in just the limbs might make them too long and sluggish. But that's just a guess though. Good luck with the project.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:56 PM
bigcountry

That is pretty long. I just made a tiller stick and I only went to 30".

Old 09-26-2008, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

At least he's wanting a bow that's 75" ntn. That kind of bow length will help making that draw length a bit easier and safer. A little addition to limb length shouldn't hurt performance much, particularly with that draw length. Man, think of the power stroke he'll generate with a 36" draw. He could easily drop 10-15 pounds of draw weight and stillmatch the arrow speed of a 60# bow drawn to 28". I bet he has a heck of a time trying to find arrows.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:07 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Chris W.

At least he's wanting a bow that's 75" ntn. That kind of bow length will help making that draw length a bit easier and safer. A little addition to limb length shouldn't hurt performance much, particularly with that draw length. Man, think of the power stroke he'll generate with a 36" draw. He could easily drop 10-15 pounds of draw weight and stillmatch the arrow speed of a 60# bow drawn to 28". I bet he has a heck of a time trying to find arrows.
The arrow thing is going to pose a problem. Once I get this bow made and tillered, Ill have to order an arrow or two to shoot it in.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

just get some telephone poles and put some feathers on them...

Man thats some draw,............

He ain't pulling any of my bows!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wonder if suggesting an armectomy might be easier
Old 10-08-2008, 01:43 AM

hummmmm, 36 inch draw,,hummmmm ,,,Home depot and get some closet poles,,,whole turkey wings to fletch em with.
Good luck on te arrows !
Old 10-08-2008, 06:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Well, came accross another problem. I carved out a basic design with a hickory stave that I could draw to 36" which was about 50lbs. Now I guess im going to have to make arrows. I will have no way to shoot a bow in once I get the design down, pluse, I only draw 30". I dont know how to shoot a bow this big in. He lives in another state, so I cant have him shoot it in. Im dumb founded. I have thought about making a block of wood that was 6" long that contours to the grip and use that as my handle while I shot a bow in. Not sure how that will work, but I guess it will have to, that is if I can get an arrow. On the good side of things, I think I got a design that will hold out.

Quick Reply: Major challenge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.