Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Back From CO

Old 09-23-2008, 08:30 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Back From CO

ORIGINAL: ArkyBob

Hey big country, my set up is as follows> Chekmate Crusader. 62" 53# at my 27" draw. One of Chad's D97 strings. XX75 2018 cut to 30". !35gr zwickey delta with tanto point and razor sharp. Hope this helps, I know it's nothing special on the set up but it seems to work for me. Did you ever sell your takedown crusader that you had for sell. That was one nice looking bow. Good luck
BOB

Yep, I sold it, I had it shooting well. I didn't particularly like the huge grip and really wanted one tillered 3 under. Somebody got a good deal.

I shoot a savannah also with 2018's. Glad to hear it would do the job on elk. I have been shooting magnus 125grs.

Hope Chad didn't think I was callin him a liar. Just wanted to hear more about the hit. I will be taking out my osage bow this year for deer. It only shoots like 155fps with 460gr cedars. But dad gone accurate.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:45 AM

I forgot to add that total arrow weight is 555 gr and I believe if I remember right that speed was around 170fps
BOB
Old 09-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd sure like to hear about the hunts, the camp, the elevation, the weather etc, etc, etc.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:06 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

No problem at all BC--always better to get it straight from the horse's mouth--I'm liable to get something crossed up.

Bob knows more of the details than I do, but I'll give it a shot.

The hunts were lots of walking and calling. The rut hadn't started yet, but we did get a few bugles in reply to calling and I think a few curious cows came to check out calls. My main mistakes were moving too fast (didn't think that was possible for me, especially with the thin air), not hiding well enough (move from one hiding spot to the next, don't just stand in the open regardless if you can breath or not!), not calling enough, and not looking hard enough (Bruce got within 10 yds or so of two cows and didn't see them until they busted from their bed). Up a mountain or ridge in the morning (ideally you would get up before daylight and try to beat the elk to the top where they bedded after feeding in the meadows at night), but we never managed to do that--needed a good breakfast to tackle that climb!

Trails and sign was very good--too good--couldn't decide what to follow most of the time.

Elevation at the camp was.....around 7,000-7,500 feet, I think? I went to well over 8,000 feet one day (top of a small mountain), dang near killed me.

Temps were mid 60's during the day, low-mid 30's at night--just right for a sleeping bag.

Weather was beautiful, got a small sprinkle once or twice, got rained on once, but not a hard rain.

We couldn't have asked for a nice campsite--had a spot where the ground was almost level to pitch our tents, a nice (COLD) stream close by to get water, wash our clothes, and bathe (try taking a bath in 48 degree water--SHEW!), plenty of trees to tie up the horse and plenty of grass for him to eat on (plus the 50# sack of feed we had to take in for him--he was an eating machine!).

We parked at the trailhead, where a lot of folks camp, got our horse, loaded him and our packs, and headed out. Took a long time to get there, but that was because we didn't know the exact trail to take (or missed it--I forget--whichever it was, I blame it on Bob). Coming out (they knew the trail then) took about 3.5 hours, mostly up-hill. Bob and Ed took the meat to the cooler before we packed out, and I think it took them about 3 hours coming in (more downhill than up).

We carried in food (instand oatmeal, ramin noodles, individually packs of tuna, trail mix, instandcoffee,etc.) 3 small tents (two men per tent, one extra to keep gear out of the weather), a few pots (only needed two), a cup and "spork" each (the "spork" is a camping utinsel--spoon on one end, fork on the other), rain gear, tarps, water containers, water filters, sleeping bags and pads......quite a list of things. It was all we could get on the horse and on our packs. A good pack frame is a MUST (I didn't have a good one, used a military ALICE pack frame--not the best choice). We could have eliminated some things--you want to be sure to take everything you need, but nothing extra--more stuff = more weight.

Besides what I learned about hunting elk, I also learned two VERY important things. MONTHS before you leave, start walking. Walk, walk, then walk some more. All uphill if possible. Start walking with a pack. Build up to the point where you can walk several miles with a 50# pack, and maybe you'll only feel like you are having 1/2 a heart attack going in. Bob, Bruce, and Ed were all in MUCH better shape than me, and it was all to obvious before we'd gone a half-mile. The second is be sure to take a good water filter/pump--do NOT drink straight from the stream, no matter how cold and clear the water is. We heard of one fellow who took one drink from a stream and spent the next three days in the hospital.

I have to give these three guys I went witha LOT of credit--they really took care of me, waited on me (when I was hunched over on the trail, trying to breathe and looking for my lungs which I was sure had fallen out of my chest a ways back), and they never fussed or complained--they only encouraged me, which really made a difference.

I'm not in the worst shape--39 years old, still pretty strong, overweight but carry it pretty well. Before I left I was able to walk with 80# in my pack for 1-1.5 miles without passing out (well, not completely pass out anyway), so I thought I had it under control--NOT! I know for sure that if I get another chance to go, I WILL be in better shape! I didn't get my legs under me until Friday, on the way out--and it still wasn't easy by any stretch.

I've tromped around Northern Ontario for moose (rocky, rough walking, but didn't have to deal with the elevation), sloshed through swamps for hogs in GA (I thought walking through "sucking" mud all day was tough), and covered various other terrains--elk in CO was by far the toughest hunting I've ever done. Hope I get to do it again!

Chad
Old 09-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Shocked a 135gr head went thru a shoulder blade.
No shock to me at all. My dad and his hunting buddy's did It for many years shooting 135 grain Satellite II BH's. A few of there elk they caught the shoulder blade and went right through It and out the other side. There setups were (2216's 135 grain Satellite II BH's shot from Big Horn Take Down Recurve's all pulling 60lbs and 65lbs).

I'm glad you guys had some success there Chad!! Elk hunting Is a work out that's for sure. You were fortunate you had a horse for packing In and out, It could of been worse for ya. The last time I went elk hunting I had 95lbs on my back and we packed In 7 miles. I was dead to the world when we finally hit camp. It took till the last few days of a 10 day hunt before my legs finally started to cooperate with me without me having to stop and rest. Horses would be nice though. I'd do It with horses If I had some. Good to see you back in one piece!! Glad you had fun and learned a thing or 2, that's what It's all about!
Old 09-25-2008, 09:24 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

No shock to me at all. My dad and his hunting buddy's did It for many years shooting 135 grain Satellite II BH's. A few of there elk they caught the shoulder blade and went right through It and out the other side. There setups were (2216's 135 grain Satellite II BH's shot from Big Horn Take Down Recurve's all pulling 60lbs and 65lbs).

I'm glad you guys had some success there Chad!! Elk hunting Is a work out that's for sure. You were fortunate you had a horse for packing In and out, It could of been worse for ya. The last time I went elk hunting I had 95lbs on my back and we packed In 7 miles. I was dead to the world when we finally hit camp. It took till the last few days of a 10 day hunt before my legs finally started to cooperate with me without me having to stop and rest. Horses would be nice though. I'd do It with horses If I had some. Good to see you back in one piece!! Glad you had fun and learned a thing or 2, that's what It's all about!
Ok, thats fine. But it still begs the question. Why are you shooting such a high weight bow?

Old 09-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Ok, thats fine. But it still begs the question. Why are you shooting such a high weight bow?
Why am I? If your asking why I am the reason Is I like knocking something on It's ass when I hit It.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have to give these three guys I went witha LOT of credit--they really took care of me, waited on me (when I was hunched over on the trail, trying to breathe and looking for my lungs which I was sure had fallen out of my chest a ways back),
I know that exact feeling. I felt I was in great shape when I went. But my lungs just could not handle the altitude well. Hunched over gasping if I didn't take it slow and easy. It's a very strange feeling for me knowing my muscles were not giving out, it was my lungs. We made camp on top of the mountain though at 11,000 feet. Morning hunts were a little easier for us.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:17 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It's a very strange feeling for me knowing my muscles were not giving out, it was my lungs.
Ain't that the truth! I thought I was plenty strong enough--and I was--but my lungs weren't! No way to describe that feeling--it's just weird! Made me thankful I don't smoke!

Chad
Old 09-26-2008, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

Here's a picture of Bob (ArkyBob) with his cow. Notice the small dark spot on the rear of the right shoulder; that's the entry wound.
We did have a great time. We ALL were worn out but still excited to be there.

Quick Reply: Back From CO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.