Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Cedar Arrows

Old 03-10-2003, 11:59 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default Cedar Arrows

I bought my brother a recurve for christmas, he' s had enough of the compound bows for now. He would like to get some cedar arrows to shoot, what and who do you guys reccommend. We have a pro shop close but they don' t carry any and they reccommended he shoot ACC' s, that humored both of us. Take your primitive weapon and shoot the most technologically advanced arrows on the market. What do cedars cost and does quality differ a lot from maker to maker? We both have shot compounds forever and are clueless on this one. Thanks.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:25 PM
Kip
Fork Horn

Default RE: Cedar Arrows

Mez, you can get shafts through Rogue River, 3 Rivers, and plenty of other places.

I am about to order some shafts from Raven Archery. I am told very good things about their shafts. I can let you know what I think of them when they get here.

Some of the others on here will chime in soon, and give you the nitty gritty on arrows, Im just a green horn.

One word of advice, dont buy cheap shafts. I bought a couple dozen shafts from a local archery shop, and the arrows couldn' t be farther from being matched.
I have as much as 100 grains weight difference within the same dozen arrows.
Kinda hard to get everything working right when things arent even close to being matched.
Good luck with the arrows.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:30 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Kip. Forgot to say, the bow is 50# with a 28 inch draw and he wants to shoot 125 gr heads, do they make different spines etc. with wood arrows, if so what does he need for this setup? Like i said, we are new to this.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:44 PM

I shoot Gold tips. I was going through too many cedar arrows. Cedar is great stuff unless you miss the target. I had a bad habit of bouncing the arrows off of the back or belly of the 3-D targets. That will break the shaft. I suggest that carbon might be a cheaper way to learn. Wood is better when you can consistently hit the target. (Here comes the hate mail!) Dick
Old 03-10-2003, 12:56 PM

Hello guys I also shoot carbons from my rcurve. Easton Carbon Express 400 cut to 29 inches with 4" feathers and 125 heads. They weigh in at around 400 grains and fly about as perfect as I' ve seen. They last a real long time before they break or need to be reflecthed. I like the carbons because they dont bend when you skin those sappling stump shooting! I think they are a good choice. Curious who else hear shoots carbons? By the way I shoot a 60# Check-mate hunter TD.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

Hey, Mez. You could use ACCs if you wanted, but they' re rather pricey I think. Over $100 for a dozen when you can get others between $35-50. Dependin on who you get them from, you can get a dozen for $20 or less. There' s also other woods to use. One of the cheapest places I' ve found is Allegehny Mountain Arrow Woods or whatever it' s called exactly. The website it www.arrowwoods.com He has shafts from heavy hardwoods like ash to lighter stuff like douglas fir. If you really want cedar though then there are a lot of places to get them. I think Rogue River Archery sells mixed dozens if you' re trying to find what spine weight you need. Find what the poundage will be at his draw length if he draws under or over 28" , and get info on tuning the bow. I' d some cedars that I shot tree roots with and they were fine, but then others that broke or bent for rather unknown reasons. Well I' m already talkin to much so umm....g' day.

Brandan
Old 03-10-2003, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

First, let me say that what arrow any of us would shoot from the same bow will vary. To get the best arrow for your brother to shoot from his bow, you' ll need to call a reputable fletcher and get a set of tuning arrows. They will generally be in 2 or 3 different spine groups. Something in the range of 45-50, 50-55 and 55-60, depending on what he' s actually pulling with the bow, the length the arrow will need to be BOP, the design of the bow, the type of string being used and your brothers release, as all will effect what spine will actually fly well from the bow.

As an example, my 60" CM hunter II takedown recurve is 51# @28" and with taking all of the above criteria into account, the bow shoots a 28" 55-60 spined cedar arrow perfectly with broadheads attached. My 1967 Black Widow recurve at 50# shot a 50-55 spined arrow. The primary difference between the two bows was the string material. The old widow shot dacron and the CM shoots dynaflight97, which boosts performance on a bow by about 10% over dacron. However, you' ll need to know whether or not the bow will accept dyna or any other high performance, low stretch string material without damage before using it.

I pretty much shoot cedar exclusively. I still have arrows that I bought more than a few years ago. I shoot them daily for all of my practice and hunting. I stump shoot daily and over the last couple of months, I' ve broken a half dozen arrows. There' s just something about the feel and smell of a good cedar arrow when stalking ancient cedar stumps in a lush forest. Know what I mean?
Old 03-10-2003, 04:38 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Can you reccommend a reputable fletcher? I' ll find out about the string material. The bow is a Martin, I believe the hunter model, i' ll check on this stuff and let you know.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:27 PM

Paul Jalon at Elite Arrows makes as fine a wood arrow as you' re going to find, plus his prices are the most reasonable. Moreover, he sells a test kit of arrows to help determine the exact spine your bow will need. Check out his website at:
www.fairchase.com/elitearrows/
Old 03-11-2003, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

I second Elite Arrows. If I don' t shoot mine, I shoot Paul' s

Quick Reply: Cedar Arrows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.