Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Horse bow Guy on History channel >

Horse bow Guy on History channel

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Horse bow Guy on History channel

Old 06-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Horse bow Guy on History channel

anyone ever seen the show with the guy that can shoot so fast and reload and shoot again it looks like its in fastforward. he holds all his arrows in his bow hand (grabs/nocks/draws /shoots) in one fluid motion....he shot an ubelievable # i wanna say(guess) it was 12 flying discs in 17 seconds with his horsebow.

hes some guy from eastern europe...but i cant find the info ....history channel did a 15 minute peice or so on him, hes amazing. it was a show abouthistory ofweapons or something....cant remember the exact name....ive been trying to find footage when i remember to look for it....and cant come up with it.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Horse bow Guy on History channel

id like to post a link to the footage or information if i could find it.

its something i think every trad archer or archer in general will definately enjoy watching.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Was it Jaap Koppedrayer, maybe?
Old 06-27-2008, 08:07 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Was it Jaap Koppedrayer, maybe?
I saw the show he referred to also, that guy was incredible, but I don't think he was Japanese. BTW, you misspelled "Jap"...
Old 06-27-2008, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

BTW, you misspelled "Jap"...
You sorry, no good.... You made me spew coffee all over my monitor with that'n.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yea this guy was no "Jaap"....

i still cant find any footage.....its hard to find traditional footage period on the net.

maybee i need to contact History Channel....but im not paying $35 for a copy of the show.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Same here. After searching the web, I searched History Channel's site and couldn't find it. I think it was an episode of Modern Marvels? Not sure. But yeah. They can keep their stinkin' $35 video. Take out the commercials and that's about a buck a minute of actual show time.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

It was on Modern Marvels on the History Channel.The show was about hunting weapons.It was on a couple of weeks ago.It was either Jaap or Kassai Lajos that did the shooting
Old 06-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are quite a few vids of Kassai out there.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

an Peice from wiki pedia
heres a link to the whole thing if your interested[edhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseback_archeryit] Techniques

A student in New Zealand demonstrates the proper release technique and how to hold multiple arrows in the bowhand[/align][/align][/align]Originally the Scythians, Mongols and some of the Turkish archers, all used variants of a thumb-ring and a release of arrow from 'inside' the bow. (e.g. for a right handed archer holding the bow in their left hand the arrow sits across the left hand's thumb and on the right side of the bow). This is completely different from the Western tradition of 'three-fingered' or 'Mediterranean' release which occurs 'round the bow' (e.g. for a right handed archer this means the arrow rests over the back of the left hand holding the bow, over the fore-finger's knuckle, and is released round the left side of the bow).
Kassai however has adopted the Western method of shooting 'round the bow' and a three-fingered release. The bows are generally fairly light (from about 30 - 40lbs) and Kassai uses alloy arrows rather than the more traditional wooden shafts. Ostensibly this is due to the large number of arrows shot and the fact that they need to be durable. The 'release' has been largely modified from a traditional Western release and involves a rather emphatic extension of the release hand (the right hand in the case of a right-handed archer) after releasing the arrow. This performs a number of functions - firstly as a focus, and secondly as a counter-balance whilst on horseback to the power leaving the front of the bow.
To ensure rapidity of shooting Kassai has developed a technique of holding up to a dozen arrows in the bow-hand from which the archer can re-draw quickly. Kassai's research has shown that the previously envisaged pulling arrows from a back quiver or saddle quiver to be too cumbersome and slow - it is not known how the Mongols or their predecessors managed the task as no records remain of this facet of horseback archery. Kassai himself places great emphasis on this technique and can shoot up to 10 arrows in 12 seconds.[citation needed]
Regarding horsemanship skills, upon which Kassai places equal emphasis, the aspiring horseback archer must practice first 'bare-back' (without any saddle) to promote good balance. Once past a certain level the archer may graduate to use a specially modified Eastern Saddle. Previously it was thought that the optimum time to release the arrow was rising in the stirrups at the height of the horse's rise in the canter, but as is regularly demonstrated the archer can shoot without stirrups (although generally the top of the rise when all four horse's hooves are not in contact with the ground is still the optimum point for release.)
It has also to be noted that in 2006, using these techniques, Kassai broke his own Guinness Book of Records achievement of shooting non-stop for twenty four hours and maintaining an average of over 200 points on the competition course. He used 10 horses and scored a total of 15,594 points from 5,413 shots over 661 gallops.[citation needed]
Pretty amazing stuff!!!!
its Kassai Lajos
now i need footage
heres a pic of him

heres a you tube video
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmgeW2hTFow&feature=related

not the best footage but you get the idea

Quick Reply: Horse bow Guy on History channel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.