Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Yew Stave

Old 06-20-2008, 09:16 PM
bigcountry

Default Yew Stave

A friend sent me a yew stave from WA State. I couldn't wait, so I removed the bark tonight and sanded down to the sapwood. But I found small hairline cracks in the grain. I can't find a clear path up the stave with them. Some are small as a hair, some are 1/32" wide by 2". Should I drawknife down to see if they go deep. Or is hairline cracks in the grain that big of deal in the sapwood?

Old 06-21-2008, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Yew Stave

I'd definitely draw knife down to try and find good wood but I've never done anything with yew. I have no idea what hairline cracks in the sapwood would do to it.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:19 PM
bigcountry

here's a pic of it. Anyone work with yew before?

Old 06-22-2008, 09:19 PM
bigcountry

Nevermind, I just whittled down less than a shaving or two and they disappeared.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:16 PM

checks, eh?
From the bent stick "Checks that are well within the borders of the limbs will--99 percent of the time--behave as if they do not exist.

So, according to Comstock its nothing to worry about...just checks from drying.

Supposedly the yew heartwood is more brittle than the sapwood so it's good to leave a thin layer of sapwood on the back.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Keep chaseing until you start running out of sap wood. If the checksare still there, keep them close to the handle and make a static grip if possible. Id not consider an English style longbow. You might consider a backing and not chance it unbacked. Or that is what id do. I dont do many selfbows so my experience is limited.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:30 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Keep chaseing until you start running out of sap wood. If the checksare still there, keep them close to the handle and make a static grip if possible. Id not consider an English style longbow. You might consider a backing and not chance it unbacked. Or that is what id do. I dont do many selfbows so my experience is limited.
I decided I will back it with rawhide. Thanks. I was able to get out the checks.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

We're on a mission from God. (Blues Brothers)

Keep going big! Sure sounds like you're having a blast.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:58 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

We're on a mission from God. (Blues Brothers)

Keep going big! Sure sounds like you're having a blast.
My wife hates this hobby. She claims this is worse than anything I have ever dove into.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Dominant Buck

It is obsesive. My wife showed a little discontent when I first started. I guess it was due to the fact I was spending most of my spare time in my wood shop.

Quick Reply: Yew Stave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.