Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Ramin and such.

Old 02-28-2003, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ramin and such.

I was wonder if you' ns have ever experimented with ramin for arrows, and what kind of results you' ns had. I ain' t happy with the results I' m getting from the ones I picked up, but I think some of it is the guy' s craftmanship. I don' t think he did the taper angles right ' cause the points don' t fit completely right. The nocks too. They' re hard to straighten and brake when you try. I don' t know if this is typical, or if it' s this guy' s stock. Either way I don' t think I' ll be goin back to him. Last time I bought some cedars none of them were bent like that " out of the box." and the points and nocks fit perfectly over the tapers. So anyways, if you' ns have some insight on the matter feel free to enlighten me.

Brandan
Old 02-28-2003, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ramin and such.

I tried ramin for awhile for squirrel arrows. they were very dense/heavy(a good thing) but would not stay straight(a bad thing). they are hard on taper tools too. I didn' t care for them. however, they were pretty cheap at Lowe' s hardware
Old 03-01-2003, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

are the arrows 23/64ths?
Old 03-01-2003, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

The guy said they' re 23/64, but the 23/64 points he gave me don' t fit over the taper right. I checked ' em with some 11/32 points I had and the same thing happens.

Brandan
Old 03-01-2003, 05:13 PM

I bought a lot of 100 from T&Me in Illinois saveral years back. 11/32 55-60. Ranged from very straight to unshootable. I used the crooked ones for testing stains and such. The spine is inconsistent, but I' ve made some great arrows. Very durable. Flu-Flus from the semi-crooked shafts. Even killed my deer with one this year. Still using them... gotta see how they shoot out of my new Crusader that will arrive soon!!

They have good mass, but they lack that cedar smell when you walk up and check out the arrow half left as the deer took the other half off through the woods on a 75yd sprint... but that' s ok I guess!!

GarMan