Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 3 below?  1 above, 2 below?  I'm so confused.... >

3 below? 1 above, 2 below? I'm so confused....

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

3 below? 1 above, 2 below? I'm so confused....

Old 06-18-2008, 08:00 PM

Default 3 below? 1 above, 2 below? I'm so confused....

Ya'll......I'm really starting to get hooked on this tradtional shooting stuff.....My shop owner has a Black Widow that I've been shooting for the last couple weeks, and I'm pretty much hooked. But, honestly.......I SUCK. I can't hit water if I were standing on the ark, right next to Noah. I get lucky once in a while though. I'm pretty sure I'm not achoring consistently, or sometimes at all. And, what's the proper way to hold the string? I've been holding 3 fingers below the arrow because it's more comfortable for me, and.....It seems if I keep 1 above I really pluck and twist the string.

What's the right way here? And, what do ya'll use for anchor reference points?
Old 06-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 3 below? 1 above, 2 below? I'm so confused....

I shoot split-finger(1 above,2 under).That's what works for me.I also anchor with my middle finger in the corner of my mouth.I hold anchor and settle it in for a split second before releasing.There's nothing wrong with shooting 3 under.It gets the arrow right under your eye.But,the nock should be a bit higher than a split shooter's set-up--particularly if the bow isn't tillered for 3 under.

See if your shop owner has a lighter weight bow to shoot.You're most likely not hitting anchor and snap-shooting,resulting in inconsistant groups.Could be your follow-thru,too.If the Widow is comfortable for you,when you hit anchor,try counting "one,and...",then relax the fingers and follow thru.It's kinda hard to give shooting advice without seeing you actually shooting--lots of variables to consider
Old 06-18-2008, 08:24 PM
bigcountry

I highly recommend you start out split. I didn't. And reason was, I was pinching the arrow. Sometimes 3under can be a real pain for some bows. Most, you can just raise you nocking point 3/16". One thing, try a pinch free tab, and another, get a bow thats long enough.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:28 PM

Thanks guys. I do believe I may be a bit overbowed in the poundage arena....I'm just messing around w/ it to see if I enjoy it enough to drop the jack on one. Shoot, I don't even know what "good form" even looks like....LOL
Old 06-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm a 3 finger under guy. It seems my releases are much smoother that way then split finger. I'm going to guess Mobow that your pulling back a few more pounds then what you can handle and your not getting consistent anchor points. Form means everything shooting Traditional bows. Its allot more touchy then shooting a compound. You will get it in time. Go pick up a cheap recurve thats light in draw weight and shoot that for a while. Once you start getting consistent form and anchor points things will come together just like that!!

Good luck man!!
Old 06-18-2008, 08:57 PM
bigcountry

I tell ya, I started pulling back to anchor and I count to 3 or even 5. And it seems I am conscienely controlling my release. When I first started I would snap shoot and it was one bad freakin habit, that took me months to get out of.

If you have a bow you can't hold until a 5 count without shaking and being able to concentrate on the release., your overbowed, IMO.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you have a bow you can't hold until a 5 count without shaking and being able to concentrate on the release., your overbowed, IMO.
I think your right BC. My next recurve will be a good 5lbs to 7lbs lighter being its a tad to heavy right now.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:13 PM

Well I'm definetly not holding my anchor....I line everything up, draw, and when I hit it, I let 'er go.....sometimes it absolutely beautiful, sometimes it's not...LOL

Ok, that's what I'll work on this week, holding my anchor to a 3 count.....That sounds like a good place to start.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

How many pounds Mobow?
Old 06-18-2008, 09:38 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I think your right BC. My next recurve will be a good 5lbs to 7lbs lighter being its a tad to heavy right now.

No doubt you are generating some serious horsepower with that windwalker.

Quick Reply: 3 below? 1 above, 2 below? I'm so confused....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.