Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Fathers Day Traditional Shoot >

Fathers Day Traditional Shoot

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Fathers Day Traditional Shoot

Old 06-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Fathers Day Traditional Shoot

Well yesterday my brother and I and a couple of friends went to a Traditional shoot. My dad was suppose to show up also but stuff came up with his job so he couldn't make it![:@] They had 3 different divisions. Recurve, Longbow, Selfbows. Men, women, youth each were in there own division as well. I'm guessing well over a 1000 shooters will be there this weekend.

The shoot was a blast! It was by far the most challenging Traditional shoot I've been to. 95% of the shots were makable, you just didn't dare miss by much or your arrows were catching hell with the tree's. They have 3 rounds of 20 targets. 20 points for the boiler room, 15 points for a marginal shot, 5 points for just hitting the target was the scoring system. 40 points for the one metal target if you were successful. Each round represents the animals in that region. Here are the 3 rounds.

Africa Round- The shot distance on the average was about 18 yards. Very realistic. I thought I did super on this round considering the longer yardages. Max score was 400, I shot a 265. I was happy with that.

Minnesota Round- Very challenging round!! The average distance on this round was closer (15 yard range) but the obsticals were something else. Branches every where, tiny little holes here and there to shoot through. Most of the shots were very doable but you couldn't be more then an inch or 2 off otherwise you were in the trees. I broke 2 arrows on this round but man was it fun and challenging! Max score here was a 400, I shot a 235. I was ok with how I shot but I think I could of done a little better. Like I said, this round was very challenging!

Western Round- This round kicked my ass!! I think the biggest reason was I just ran out of gas and got tired about 1/2 way through the round. I was starting to not hit my anchor point (short drawing) being the 73lbs I'm pulling back was starting to catch up with me. I was getting ticked off with myself being I knew exactly what I was doing wrong but just couldn't seem to get rid of it on a consistent basis. The average shot on this round was out there some. The average shot was about 20 yards, maybe a tad more. They had a barrel set up with a pipe going through it resting on a saw horse on each side of the barrel. The barrel was off the ground 6 inches so it moved when you sat on it and stratled it. It was suppose to be simulating a horse. It was worse then that, horses don't move that much!! I damn near fell off the thing when I went to release my arrow. I hit the target but It wasn't by any means a good shot. The very last target was a metal target with the vitals (lungs and heart) cut out on a bear. The shot was about 15 yards and if you made it through the hole you got 40 points and if you didn't you wrecked your arrow, it was 1/4 inch steel! I made it through perfectly but man was I shaking when I let that arrow go. The max score on this round was 420, I shot a 235 and wasn't to happy with my shooting but like I said I was running out of gas. This was the 1st time I've shot my bow since last October.

My final score was a 735. I'm guessing I placed some where in the top third in the recurve class. I could of shot better but I could of shot worse too I guess. My brother did finally beat me, he shot a 755 in the Longbow division! He should place well. He shot very well and boy did he rub it in on the way home being it was the 1st time he out did me. He loved it!! All in all it was a great day and we had a blast. The founder of Double Bull blind was there also shooting the coarse, I thought that was neat seeing him there. The Pope And Young Club also was there doing some great PR work. I talked with these guys for a while being I know the Secretary and chairman quite well. The P&Y club does allot of good things for the kids, I wish more people realized this! There were many bow makers and vendors there as well. It was a great time.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:34 PM

Default RE: Fathers Day Traditional Shoot

You forgot the broadhead collection, which was great. The autographed Fred Bear arrow made it worth the ten minute drive.

Glad ya had fun man. I didn't try the 3D course though, stuck around the warmup area and shot a few hours this mornin. Well worth it though, had fun and met a few gentlemen. Hopefully next year I'll trust my accuracy enough..
Best thing I thought was, even being there alone, I had offers from four different groups asking if I'd like to shoot 3D with 'em...nice people eh.

Just wish I knew all the vendors were letting people test shoot their bows though.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing. Oh, did you try the string shoot also?

Regards,
Dave
Old 06-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you had a great time. I wish we had something like that close to us. I bet it was a blast to shoot all of those different targets.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DBerrard

You forgot the broad head collection, which was great. The autographed Fred Bear arrow made it worth the ten minute drive.

Glad ya had fun man. I didn't try the 3D course though, stuck around the warm up area and shot a few hours this morning. Well worth it though, had fun and met a few gentlemen. Hopefully next year I'll trust my accuracy enough..
Best thing I thought was, even being there alone, I had offers from four different groups asking if I'd like to shoot 3D with 'em...nice people eh.

Just wish I knew all the vendors were letting people test shoot their bows though.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing. Oh, did you try the string shoot also?

Regards,
Dave
Damn I forgot to check out the broad head collection. Brent Swanson which is a friend of mine had his collection there also. Man that bugs me I forgot to check that out![:@]

Most of the folks at Traditional shoots are the friendliest archery shooters out there. They are there for the fun of it and they enjoy everyone's company. They are nothing like the people at regular 3-d shoots. It makes a guy feel good when people approach you like they did with you. Kudo's to them people!

My brother bought a Kota Longbow from the Maker of Kota bows. He's been there as a vendor for as long as I can remember and he let my brother take the bow and use it through out the shoot. My brother liked it so he bought it. Great service in letting my brother try the bow out through out the shoot played a part in him buying it also I'm thinking.

I had no idea they had a string shoot there? Was it going on at the same time? That sucks if they did cause I was not ready to go home. I just don't do this kind of stuff enough! Are you a member of the Rapids Archery Club?

Old 06-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Brett/IL

Sounds like you had a great time. I wish we had something like that close to us. I bet it was a blast to shoot all of those different targets.
It was a blast Brett. I just wish I could do this stuff more often. They have people from all over the USA that come to this Traditional shoot. They have a map there showing where everyone is from that signs up. They were people from California, Texas, Florida, Alaska, and many other states far away. From what allot of people say this is one of the better Traditional shoots in the USA. You should try and make the trip Brett, try getting a group of people to help pay for the gas. They also have a camping area for people who want to spend the weekend there. I may do that next year.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Schultzy
Damn I forgot to check out the broad head collection. Brent Swanson which is a friend of mine had his collection there also. Man that bugs me I forgot to check that out![:@]

Most of the folks at Traditional shoots are the friendliest archery shooters out there. They are there for the fun of it and they enjoy everyone's company. They are nothing like the people at regular 3-d shoots. It makes a guy feel good when people approach you like they did with you. Kudo's to them people!

My brother bought a Kota Longbow from the Maker of Kota bows. He's been there as a vendor for as long as I can remember and he let my brother take the bow and use it through out the shoot. My brother liked it so he bought it. Great service in letting my brother try the bow out through out the shoot played a part in him buying it also I'm thinking.

I had no idea they had a string shoot there? Was it going on at the same time? That sucks if they did cause I was not ready to go home. I just don't do this kind of stuff enough! Are you a member of the Rapids Archery Club?
Waiting to hear from them, my application for membership was put to vote last Monday so we'll see.

About the string shoot, the info posted on Tradgang said it was to be after dinner on Saturday evening. Never heard of one till recently and the fella from the club explained:
" String shoot. Usually there is a stake with a string attached. String may be on the ground or on plants. Follow the string until a marker(another stake or piece of flaging tape)or the end of string. Somewhere along the string you have to make your shot at the target. You cannot back up on the string. As you move along you may have to "hunt" for the target, there may be only one or several good shots at the target, you have to decide when and were to shoot. If you get to the end of the string or to the end marker your done....no shot...no points..."

Next year! Time flies so perhaps we can meetup next year and shoot together.

And yeah..bummer ya missed the broadhead collection..kinda kicking myself for not looking at it again today but it was pretty neat...hope its there again next year or some other shoot nearby.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Next year! Time flies so perhaps we can meetup next year and shoot together.
You bet!! We'll keep in touch on that.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:30 PM

Oh hey! See ya got your bear back lol...good deal. Looks great.
Have to break any of his bones?

Almost dinner time, so talk at ya later. Happy Father's day and take it easy.

Regards,
Dave
Old 06-15-2008, 07:05 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like a great time! I love the string shoots--we usually have one or two of those at a club I go to. They can really mess with your mind, especially if you are the first shooter in a group!

Chad
Old 06-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like a great time. Hate those shoot though metal shots. [:@]

Quick Reply: Fathers Day Traditional Shoot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.