Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Quiver Ideas

Old 06-19-2008, 04:33 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Quiver Ideas

Back quivers are probably the coolest looking, but in my opinion they are the least comfortable and least functional quiver you can get--especially for hunting. I've tried a few, both for hunting and for tournament shooting. Hot, noisy, easy to dump arrows if you bend over, way too much movement required to get an arrow out for hunting purposes, it's a "catch all" for every leaf, twig, etc. that drops........not for me.

You couldn't give me one if part of the deal was I actually had to use it. The only exception I can think of would be a Ben Peason style with the extra strap, and only then for bird hunting (to hold a boatload of arrows). Not sure I could be persuaded to use one even for that.

Chad
Old 06-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I also like the Safari Tuff Arrowmaster, pretty good looking quiver and no to pricey![8D]
Old 06-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, Chad, most back quivers you get these days are made with leather that's too stiff and will definitely dump your arrows when you bend over. Softer leather will bend with your back and actually clamp the arrows in so they can't fall out, so keep that in mind for when/if you decide to make your own.

My beef with back quivers is I'm so tall I already have a problem with low hanging tree limbs and the arrows don't bend with me when I bend my head. My head clears the branch but the arrows bring me to a dead stop. [:@]

I've come to like the Plains Indian style quiver. It hangs by your side where you can grab it and hug it into your chest while going through the thick stuff. It doesn't take a whole lot of movement to draw an arrow. I didn't put one on mine, but you can add a flap to the quiver to fold over and protect your fletchings if you get caught in the rain. Mine cost me about $10. Found the leather for cheap in a flea market.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:47 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Yep--that's some of the problems I had with them Art. I've used Plains style quivers also, and they were ok. The Arrowmaster I mentioned does everything a plains style will do, plus a whole lot more. Kinda like a horse and buggy upgraded to a loaded out truck.

Chad
Old 06-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is the one I'd sure like to get. If I ever have $245 to spend on one.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

You know me, Chad. The decked out truck is awful nice when I need it, but I go the horse and buggy route whenever I can away with it.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:11 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I hear ya' Art--I like to ride my 'ol mule myself.

Bob, check out the Arrowmaster. Not quite as "traditional" looking, but after using a quiver very similar to that one, I'd take the AM 10 to 1.

Chad
Old 06-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Here is the one I'd sure like to get. If I ever have $245 to spend on one.

I hear ya Bob, is that one of Mike's??? That is a work of art!
Old 06-20-2008, 10:48 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I have to admit, that is a beautiful quiver. Bet it's a ton of work to make!

Chad
Old 06-21-2008, 04:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Yeah, Chad, most back quivers you get these days are made with leather that's too stiff and will definitely dump your arrows when you bend over. Softer leather will bend with your back and actually clamp the arrows in so they can't fall out, so keep that in mind for when/if you decide to make your own.

My beef with back quivers is I'm so tall I already have a problem with low hanging tree limbs and the arrows don't bend with me when I bend my head. My head clears the branch but the arrows bring me to a dead stop. [:@]

I've come to like the Plains Indian style quiver. It hangs by your side where you can grab it and hug it into your chest while going through the thick stuff. It doesn't take a whole lot of movement to draw an arrow. I didn't put one on mine, but you can add a flap to the quiver to fold over and protect your fletchings if you get caught in the rain. Mine cost me about $10. Found the leather for cheap in a flea market.
Thats true but I sure LIKE the 3 River's Archery Rover quiver for LOOKS!

Quick Reply: Quiver Ideas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.